This vegan hot chocolate is rich and delicious and dessert in a mug. Perfect for cold nights, when there’s a nip in the air, or even just a bit of a breeze.
You know what’s super amazing about this vegan hot chocolate?
It’s better than any non-vegan hot chocolate I ever had. Yep I said it. It’s that good, and it only has four ingredients. Okay, five if you add vegan whipped cream on top (and you should definitely add vegan whipped cream on top!)
Some chocolate shavings sprinkled on top of your vegan whipped cream don’t go amiss either. They look pretty and they add to the overall deliciousness. So really, it’s a winners move.
Vegan Hot Chocolate From Scratch
Maybe you’re asking yourself why you would make vegan hot chocolate from scratch, like…can’t you just buy a pre-made powder and mix it with some hot water, add some soy milk and voilà?
Well, sure you can. But it won’t be nearly as good as this!
This recipe uses melted vegan chocolate, cocoa powder and non-dairy milk to create the base recipe, and to that, a little brown sugar is added for extra sweetness.
It’s basically one step up from pure chocolate. You’re pretty much drinking liquid chocolate. That’s how good it tastes.
How to make vegan hot chocolate
It’s super easy. You just heat up some non-dairy milk in a saucepan with some cocoa, whisking all the while until simmering, and then add in some vegan chocolate and melt it in. Then you pour into two glasses or mugs, add brown sugar to taste and top with vegan whipped cream. And there it is – a taste sensation!
I considered two tablespoons of sugar to be perfect, one tablespoon per serve, but I like the sweet stuff, so that’s why it says ‘to taste’ in the recipe.
But let’s be real, this is a sweet recipe! It’s hot chocolate. It’s rich, chocolatey dreamy deliciousness. Feel free to top with vegan marshmallows too if you have some of those on hand.
It’s perfect for cold nights, or when there’s a little nip in the air, or you know, the wind is blowing a little. 😉
Vegan Hot Chocolate Tips
- You can use any plant milk that heats well. I have only tested this with soy milk and almond milk. Almond milk results in a thinner textured hot chocolate, but still works. I prefer soy milk because of the richer/thicker texture. I’m thinking coconut milk would also be a great option for this.
- Coconut sugar also works great as the sweetener. I used regular brown sugar, but you can really use whatever sweetener you like or even not use anything if you think it’s sweet enough.
- Use any good tasting vegan chocolate to melt into it. Chocolate chips are also fine to melt in.
- Enjoy it plain or top with vegan whipped cream. Top it with whipped coconut cream or any vegan cream of your choice.
More vegan drinks!
- Kahlua Coffee
- Vegan Coffee Smoothie
- Vegan Iced Coffee
- Vegan Oreo Milkshake
- Kahlua Milkshakes
- Peanut Butter Milkshake
This vegan hot chocolate is rich and delicious and dessert in a mug. Perfect for cold nights, when there’s a nip in the air, or just a bit of a breeze.
- Add the soy or almond milk and cocoa powder to a saucepan and heat, whisking to combine the cocoa with the milk, and heat until simmering.
- Remove from heat and add in the vegan chocolate or chocolate chips. Let it sit for a minute and then whisk in until smooth.
- Pour out into two mugs. Add brown sugar to taste.
- Top with vegan whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
*I prefer soy milk for this as it’s thicker/richer, but almond milk also works great. Coconut milk would also work well.
*I used 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar (1 Tbsp per serve) but this does make it a very sweet drink, so add sugar according to taste. Coconut sugar would also be great in place of brown sugar.
*Nutritional information includes 2 Tbsp of brown sugar but excludes additional toppings like vegan whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Category: Beverage, Dessert, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/2 the Recipe
- Calories: 408
- Sugar: 19.4g
- Sodium: 27mg
- Fat: 24.3g
- Saturated Fat: 13.3g
- Carbohydrates: 32.6g
- Fiber: 8.9g
- Protein: 13.9g
Keywords: vegan hot chocolate