These easy vegan jalapeño poppers are packed with homemade vegan cream cheese, topped with breadcrumbs and baked to perfection. Insanely delicious!
For the Vegan Cream Cheese:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (225g) Raw Cashews (soaked in hot water for 1 hour and then drained)*
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Canned Coconut Cream*
- 1 tsp Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
For the Poppers:
- 12 Jalapeño Peppers
- 1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs*
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter (Melted)
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Add the soaked cashews to your blender jug along with the lemon juice, coconut cream, white vinegar, salt, onion powder and garlic powder and blend until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Put on some gloves (*see notes) and then slice the peppers in half lengthways. Leave the stems intact if you can and then hollow the peppers out with a teaspoon.
- When all your peppers are prepared place them onto a parchment lined baking tray.
- Stuff the peppers with the cream cheese.
- Now add the breadcrumbs to a bowl, add the melted vegan butter and toss with the breadcrumbs so that they’re lightly coated with the butter.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top of your poppers and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and crispy on top.
- Serve them topped with some fresh chopped cilantro and sweet chili sauce for dipping.
*Cashews: To soak the cashews place them in a bowl and then pour over boiling hot water from the kettle. Leave them to soak for 1 hour. If you’re in a rush you can get by with soaking them for 15 minutes but an hour is more ideal to make these really easy to blend.
*Coconut Cream: The coconut cream should be canned unsweetened coconut cream. If you can’t get coconut cream then full fat canned unsweetened coconut milk will also work.
*Make it with store-bought vegan cream cheese: If you’d like to make this recipe with a store-bought plain vegan cream cheese, something like Tofutti brand, then you can do so. You will need 14 ounces (400g) of cream cheese and it would be best to flavor it a little by adding the 1 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp garlic powder from our recipe plus salt to taste to the cream cheese and stirring it in.
*It’s recommended to wear gloves when handling the peppers. Oils and residue from the jalapeño peppers can be very hard to wash off your hands so it’s a very good idea to wear some gloves before handling the peppers.
*Vegan breadcrumbs. You can really use any brand of vegan breadcrumbs for this recipe. Panko breadcrumbs is a good vegan option but use whatever is easiest for you.
*Make ahead: You could prepare the poppers up to the point of stuffing them with the cream cheese, and then cover them and refrigerate. When you’re ready to bake them, top them with the breadcrumbs and bake as usual. I wouldn’t do this too far ahead, the day before would be fine.
*Storing leftovers: Leftovers can be placed into an airtight container and stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. They can be reheated in the microwave.
*Prep time excludes the time spent soaking the cashews.
*Nutritional information is for poppers only and excludes dipping sauce.
- Category: Appetizer, Savory
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 2 Poppers
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 1.9g
- Sodium: 217mg
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 9.3g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 3.8g
Keywords: vegan jalapeño poppers