Deliciously boozy vegan parfait. Crushed oreo cookies are layered with a kahlua chocolate ganache and vegan whipped cream for a seriously decadent dessert!
When I discovered kahlua was vegan I got very very excited. So did Jaye.
While neither of us is much of a drinker these days, kahlua is something we have very fond memories of.
And right away I wanted to make a kahlua vegan parfait!
And the result was better than I even dreamed it would be. This is all kinds of delicious. I made a chocolate ganache with coconut cream and vegan dark chocolate and mixed Kahlua into it for a kahlua chocolate ganache.
And then I layered the kahlua chocolate ganache with crushed oreo cookies and whipped coconut cream. Oh wow.
If you’re not familiar with kahlua, it’s coffee liqueur. It’s quite delicious on its own, though of course it is liqueur so it has a strong taste and if you’re drinking it on its own, you’ll sip it very slowly.
However, mixed with the chocolate ganache, the flavors work together wonderfully to create this deliciously boozy coffee flavored chocolate mousse. Layered with light and fluffy whipped coconut cream and crushed oreos, you have yourself a bit of heaven in a glass.
As you can imagine, this is a rich dessert! For anyone looking for a low calorie treat, this is not for you. This is an indulgence for sure, a really really really good one. Entirely worth it!
For the Cookies:
- 16 Oreo Cookies Crushed
For the Kahlua Chocolate Ganache:
- 7 ounces Vegan Dark Chocolate (200g)
- ¾ cup Canned Coconut Cream (180ml)
- ⅓ cup Kahlua (80ml)
For the Whipped Coconut Cream
- 2 and ½ cups Canned Coconut Cream (600ml) hardened cream only from two 14-ounce cans, chilled overnight in the fridge
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar (60g)
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- Add the whole oreo cookies (no need to remove the cream centers) to the food processor and process into crumbles. Set aside.
- For the kahlua chocolate ganache, heat up the ¾ cup coconut cream to a simmer. Break up the dark chocolate into pieces and place into a bowl. Pour the heated coconut cream over the top and leave for a minute to allow the chocolate to melt. Whisk it up with a hand whisk into a smooth chocolate sauce. Add the kahlua and whisk again and then set aside.
- Remove the two cans of coconut cream from the refrigerator, being careful not to shake them. Open the cans carefully and you'll see the cream section will have risen to the top. Scoop out only this cream section of each can into a mixing bowl, leaving the watery section behind.
- Whip this up with an electric mixer until it reaches a whipped cream consistency. Then add the powdered sugar and whip it up again.
- When the cream is whipped, scoop out a ¼ cup of the cream and mix it in with the kahlua chocolate ganache. Then place the chocolate ganache and the whipped cream (separately) into the fridge to firm up for a while.
- When the chocolate ganache has thickened (it will get very thick, like a chocolate mousse), then you're ready to layer your parfaits.
- Take your glasses and layer first kahlua chocolate ganache, then a layer of whipped coconut cream, then a thick layer of crushed cookies, then kahlua chocolate ganache again, then cream again and finish with some cookie crumbles.
- Depending on the size of your glasses you should get 4 parfaits or maybe even 6. With the size of the glasses pictured, you would get at least 4.
- Serve with a sprig of mint on top for decoration.
- Prep time does not include the time spent chilling in the fridge.
- Once you have layered your parfaits you can serve them immediately. If you want to make them ahead of time then it's best to store the ingredients separately and assemble the parfaits right before serving for the best results. Leftovers can keep for a few days in the fridge, but the cookie crumbs may become a little soggy so they are best served within a few hours of preparing.