When I discovered kahlua was vegan I got very very excited. So did Jaye.
While neither of us is much of a drinker these days, kahlua is something we have very fond memories of.
So we were immediately thinking of the possibilities! Kahlua Dom Pedros! (Coming!), Kahlua Coffees! (Also coming!).
But right away I wanted to make some kahlua and cream parfaits!
This was inspired by seeing some awesome Bailey’s Cookies and Cream Parfaits. These parfaits weren’t vegan but oh my – looked so damn good!
And while Bailey’s has brought out a vegan option (made with almond milk – oh yay!), I really wanted to go with kahlua for this one.
And let me tell you this is all kinds of delicious! I made a chocolate ganache with coconut cream and vegan dark chocolate and mixed Kahlua into that as well as some whipped coconut cream.
And then I layered the kahlua chocolate ganache with crushed oreo cookies and whipped coconut cream. Top with a sprig of mint and you have the most delicious dessert.
If you’re not familiar with kahlua, it’s coffee liqueur. It’s quite delicious on its own, though of course it’s liqueur so it has a strong taste and if you’re drinking it on its own, you’ll sip it very slowly.
However, mixed with the chocolate ganache, the flavors work together wonderfully, to create this deliciously boozy coffee flavored chocolate mousse. Layered with light and fluffy whipped coconut cream and crushed oreos, you have yourself a bit of heaven in a glass.
However, as you can imagine, this is a rich dessert! For anyone looking for a low calorie treat, this is not for you! This is an indulgence for sure, a really really really good one!
You will love these vegan kahlua and cream parfaits! They are wonderfully rich, creamy, chocolatey, smooth, layered, cookies and chocolate coffee cream, decadent and simply wonderful!
With the added little kick of the kahlua to give you a little buzz, it doesn’t get better than this.
So let us know what you think of these gorgeous vegan parfaits!
If you have any questions or comments, post them down below.
And if you happen to make this recipe, tag any pics #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can check them out! Thanks!Print
Deliciously boozy vegan kahlua and cream parfaits! Rich, creamy, chocolatey, smooth, layered, decadent and simply wonderful cookies and chocolate coffee cream dessert!
- For the Cookies:
- 16 Oreos (Crushed)
- For the Kahlua Chocolate Ganache:
- 7oz (200g) Vegan Dark Chocolate
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Coconut Cream
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Kahlua
- For the Whipped Coconut Cream:
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Coconut Cream
- 1/2 cup Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- For Decoration:
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- The day before making this recipe, place the two cans of coconut cream into the coldest part of your refrigerator and leave there overnight. This will be for your whipped coconut cream.
- In a food processor, crush up the oreo cookies into crumbles and set aside.
- For the kahlua chocolate ganache, heat up the 3/4 cup coconut cream to a simmer. Break up the dark chocolate into pieces and place into a bowl. Pour the heated coconut cream over the top and leave for a minute to allow the chocolate to melt. Whisk it up with a hand whisk into a smooth chocolate sauce. Add the kahlua and whisk again and then set aside.
- Remove the two cans of coconut cream from the refrigerator, being careful not to shake them. Open the cans carefully and you’ll see the cream section will have risen to the top. Scoop out only this cream section of each can into a mixing bowl, leaving the watery section behind.
- Whip this up with an electric mixer until it reaches a whipped cream consistency. Then add the powdered sugar and whip it up again.
- When the cream is whipped, scoop out a 1/4 cup of the cream and mix it in with the kahlua chocolate ganache. Then place the chocolate ganache and the whipped cream (separately) into the fridge to firm up for a while.
- When the chocolate ganache has thickened (it will get very thick, like a chocolate mousse), then you’re ready to layer your parfaits.
- Take your glasses and layer first kahlua chocolate ganache, then a layer of whipped coconut cream, then a thick layer of crushed cookies, then chocolate again, then cream again and finish with some cookie crumbles.
- Depending on the size of your glasses you should get 3-4 parfaits. With the size of the glasses pictured, you would get at least 4.
- Serve with a sprig of mint on top for decoration.
*Prep time does not include the time spent chilling in the fridge.
*Inspired by Homemade Hooplah.
- Serving Size: 1 Parfait (of 4)
- Calories: 1116
- Sugar: 50.3g
- Sodium: 212mg
- Fat: 85.7g
- Saturated Fat: 16.4g
- Carbohydrates: 73.5g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 12.1g