This richly flavored vegan key lime cake is ideal for a birthday or any special occasion. Light and fluffy key lime cake smothered in velvety key lime frosting.
- For the Key Lime Cake:
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Key Lime Juice* (see notes)
- 2/3 cup (160ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Vegetable Oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Green Food Coloring (optional)
- For the Key Lime Frosting:
- 3 and a 3/4 cups (450g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter or Margarine
- 3 Tbsp Key Lime Juice* (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp Green Food Coloring (optional)
- For Decoration:
- Zest from 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix together.
- Then squeeze the lime juice and add it to the mixing bowl along with the soy milk, vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and green food coloring (if using).
- Whisk it with a hand whisk until it’s well mixed and all the lumps are removed.
- Grease two 7 inch round cake tins with coconut oil and cut out two circles of parchment paper for the bottoms of the tins.
- Pour out the batter evenly between the two tins and place into the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, check if they are ready by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cakes. If the toothpick comes out clean, then your cake is ready.
- Transfer the cakes from the cake tins to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding all the frosting ingredients to an electric mixer and beginning on slow speed, gradually increase speed until your frosting is smooth and creamy.
- If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar, if it’s too thick, add a little more lime juice. The consistency should be thick, but still spreadable.
- When your cakes are cooled, frost one layer and then add the other layer on top and frost the top and sides.
- Decorate with lime zest.
*If you can’t get key limes, you can use regular limes (which is what I used in this recipe).
*Nutritional Information is for 1 slice of 10 with a generous amount of frosting.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 454
- Sugar: 64.7g
- Sodium: 374mg
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 83.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.8g