I’ve been wanting to make a vegan key lime pie forever. The thing that was holding me back? I didn’t know what kind of key lime pie I wanted to make.
Was I going to do something like avocado and key lime juice for a lovely raw vegan version? Was I going to do a baked version? Something in-between?
In the end it was looking at what the ‘regular’ version of key lime pie actually is that was the deciding factor.
A regular non-vegan key lime pie uses condensed milk, key lime juice and zest and egg yolks for the filling.
So I decided to just do an adaptation of the ‘original’.
So for our vegan version we used a vegan condensed milk, whipped coconut cream and lime juice and zest.
The crust can either be made with vegan graham crackers or vegan digestive biscuits, it depends where you are in the world as to what would be easier to get. And if you can’t get either of those then use any vegan cookie you like.
I baked the crust, just for 10 minutes at 350°F. I wanted to make the crust very firm and baking it is a good way to ensure that it is! You don’t have to bake it though, if you’re happy with a slightly more crumbly texture to the crust (like in our vegan chocolate ganache pie) then you can skip that step.
The main trick to getting this vegan key lime pie perfect is to make sure your whipped coconut cream is very very firm when whipped. If it is not, then add in 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of xantham gum to get it nice and firm.
You also want to let your vegan condensed milk cool in the fridge after making it so that it gets nice and thick. If you’re using a store-bought variety of vegan condensed milk then this won’t apply, but if you’re making your own, let it cool and thicken in the fridge first.
And then you have to make sure that the pie has enough time to set properly before you slice and enjoy!
It is supposed to be nice and firm, with a mousse-like texture but still, pretty firm! It is supposed to hold up nicely when you slice it. If it’s not doing that then let it set for longer. You can speed things up by putting it in the freezer, just don’t forget it in there, or you’ll need to have patience again while it thaws.
For extra key lime flavor you can use some lime extract but I have also tried this without lime extract and the flavor is still amazing, so that’s an optional extra.
And then when it comes to key limes vs limes, you can use either/or. So whatever is easiest to get hold of, it won’t make a significant difference to your end result. To be more ‘traditional’ use key limes, but really no worries at all if you use regular limes.
You will love this vegan key lime pie! It is:
- Mousse textured
- Deliciously lime flavored
- Super easy to make
- Both perfectly sweet and tart!
Keep it covered in the coldest part of your fridge and enjoy within a few days.
So let us know what you think of this vegan key lime pie in the comments and please rate the recipe too! Thanks!
For more delicious vegan pies, check out these awesome recipes:
- Vegan Lemon Pie
- Vegan Chocolate Pie
- Vegan Peanut Butter Pie
- Vegan Coconut Cream Pie
- Vegan Banana Cream Pie
Sign up to our email list while you’re here, you’ll get an awesome (and free) recipe ebook containing 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes and you’ll be the first to know when new recipes are posted.Print
Creamy dreamy vegan key lime pie! This deliciously lime flavored pie has a perfect mousse texture and is wonderfully sweet and tart at the same time.
For the Crust:
- 10.5oz (300g) Vegan Digestive Biscuits or Vegan Graham Crackers*
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter (Melted)
For the Filling:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Vegan Condensed Milk*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Key Lime Juice (freshly squeezed)*
- 1/2 tsp Lime Extract*
- 2 Tbsp Lime Zest
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Coconut Cream (Chilled Overnight)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Xantham Gum (if needed)
- Lime Zest
- Spray a 9 inch round pie dish with non-stick spray and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the vegan digestives or graham crackers to the food processor and process into crumbles. Melt the vegan butter and mix in with the cookie crumbles and then place into the prepared pie dish and pat down firmly. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press down firmly along the bottom and work the crust up along the sides.
- Place the pie base into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Prepare your vegan condensed milk as per the linked recipe. Pour this out into a bowl and place into the fridge to cool and thicken.
- Remove the cans of chilled coconut cream from the fridge being careful not to shake them around. Open the cans and scoop out only the hardened cream section that will have risen to the top into the bowl of a stand mixer, leaving the watery part behind. Starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until the cream is whipped. For best results in this recipe, you need the cream to be very firm and well whipped with stiff peaks. If yours is a bit on the softer side, add in a 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of xantham gum and whip again. It will thicken fast.
- Squeeze the lime juice and grate the lime zest.
- Add the lime juice, lime extract and 2 Tbsp lime zest to the bowl with the condensed milk and whisk with a hand whisk to combine. Then fold in the whipped coconut cream.
- Pour this over the cooled crust and place into the freezer for a few hours to set.
- Decorate with lime zest and serve.
*This is approximately 26 Digestives or 20 Graham Cracker Sheets. It would be most accurate to go by weight since different brands have different size cookies.
*This is one full batch of homemade vegan condensed milk. Make it using soy milk or rice milk powder so that it’s nice and thick for using in this pie. You can also use store-bought canned vegan condensed milk, and if so, you can use a full 14oz/400ml can.
*Use regular limes if you can’t find key limes.
*You can omit the lime extract if you don’t have it/can’t find it. This pie is still delicious without it.
*The filling for this pie is gluten-free, so if you wanted to make the whole pie gluten-free you could switch for a gluten-free cookie for the crust.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 508
- Sugar: 21.4g
- Sodium: 348mg
- Fat: 33.7g
- Saturated Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 49.6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 3.7g
Keywords: vegan key lime pie