Creamy dreamy vegan key lime pie! This deliciously lime flavored pie has a perfect mousse texture and is wonderfully sweet and tart at the same time.
For the Crust:
- 10.5oz (300g) Vegan Digestive Biscuits or Vegan Graham Crackers*
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter (Melted)
For the Filling:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Vegan Condensed Milk*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Key Lime Juice (freshly squeezed)*
- 1/2 tsp Lime Extract*
- 2 Tbsp Lime Zest
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Coconut Cream (Chilled Overnight)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Xantham Gum (if needed)
- Lime Zest
- Spray a 9 inch round pie dish with non-stick spray and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the vegan digestives or graham crackers to the food processor and process into crumbles. Melt the vegan butter and mix in with the cookie crumbles and then place into the prepared pie dish and pat down firmly. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press down firmly along the bottom and work the crust up along the sides.
- Place the pie base into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Prepare your vegan condensed milk as per the linked recipe. Pour this out into a bowl and place into the fridge to cool and thicken.
- Remove the cans of chilled coconut cream from the fridge being careful not to shake them around. Open the cans and scoop out only the hardened cream section that will have risen to the top into the bowl of a stand mixer, leaving the watery part behind. Starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until the cream is whipped. For best results in this recipe, you need the cream to be very firm and well whipped with stiff peaks. If yours is a bit on the softer side, add in a 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of xantham gum and whip again. It will thicken fast.
- Squeeze the lime juice and grate the lime zest.
- Add the lime juice, lime extract and 2 Tbsp lime zest to the bowl with the condensed milk and whisk with a hand whisk to combine. Then fold in the whipped coconut cream.
- Pour this over the cooled crust and place into the fridge for a few hours to set. If you want to speed it up a bit then you can put it into the freezer, just don’t forget it in there or you’ll have to wait for it to thaw!
- Decorate with lime zest and serve.
*This is approximately 26 Digestives or 20 Graham Cracker Sheets. It would be most accurate to go by weight since different brands have different size cookies.
*This is one full batch of homemade vegan condensed milk. Make it using soy milk or rice milk powder so that it’s nice and thick for using in this pie. You can also use store-bought canned vegan condensed milk, and if so, you can use a full 14oz/400ml can.
*Use regular limes if you can’t find key limes.
*You can omit the lime extract if you don’t have it/can’t find it. This pie is still delicious without it.
*The filling for this pie is gluten-free, so if you wanted to make the whole pie gluten-free you could switch for a gluten-free cookie for the crust.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake, Mix
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 508
- Sugar: 21.4g
- Sodium: 348mg
- Fat: 33.7g
- Saturated Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 49.6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 3.7g
Keywords: vegan key lime pie