Tangy sweet and wonderfully lemony vegan lemon bars with a shortbread crust and a filling that tastes like lemon meringue pie, minus the meringue. Rich and so delicious!
For the Shortbread Crust:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (225g) Vegan Butter
For the Lemon Filling:
- 1 cup (240ml) Lemon Juice (Freshly Squeezed, about 4 Large Lemons)
- 2 cups (400g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Cream
- 1/2 cup (64g) Cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric*
- Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying it with non stick spray and lining it with parchment paper so that there is a parchment paper overhang on each side. Set aside.
- Add the all purpose flour, white sugar and salt for your shortbread crust to a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Then add in the vegan butter.
- Use your hands to break up the butter with the flour until it reaches a crumbly texture, then gradually start to form it into a big ball of dough.
- Place the dough into the prepared dish and use your hands to smooth it down across the bottom of the dish into a smooth even layer.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. When it’s done, remove from the oven, leaving the oven on, and let it sit on the countertop while you prepare the lemon filling.
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice, sugar, lemon extract, salt, coconut cream, cornstarch and turmeric to a saucepan and whisk as it heats until the ingredients are well combined. Then switch to a wooden spoon and keep stirring. It will suddenly start to thicken dramatically and then you’ll know it’s done.
- Pour the lemon filling out over the top of the shortbread crust and smooth down.
- Return it to the oven to bake for another 15 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove from the oven and place the dish onto a a wire cooling rack on the countertop for about an hour to cool down before placing the whole dish into the fridge to chill completely.
- Let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours until completely chilled before slicing into squares. It’s even more ideal if you can leave it overnight to really firm up before slicing.
- When chilled, remove it from the fridge and lift the dessert out of the dish using the parchment paper overhang. Place onto a wooden board and cut into 24 squares.
- Then sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top and you’re ready to serve!
*Weigh your flour for the most accurate results. If you’re using only a cup measure then make sure you use the spoon and level method for the best accuracy.
*Turmeric is just for color and can be omitted if you prefer.
*Prep time does not include time spent chilling in the fridge.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Square (of 24)
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 21.3g
- Sodium: 148mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrates: 32.3g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.3g
Keywords: vegan lemon bars