This vegan lemon curd is wonderfully tangy, creamy, sweet and tart and simply delicious as a topping on pretty much anything!
If you love lemony desserts then this is RIGHT up your street. It’s like lemon meringue in a jar, basically. It’s super easy to make and you’re going to want to put it with everything.
It makes an amazing dessert topping or just eat it with some plain vegan coconut yogurt.
How To Make Vegan Lemon Curd
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice, white sugar, lemon extract, salt, coconut cream, cornstarch and turmeric to a saucepan and heat, alternately stirring and whisking as it heats so that it smooths out. Heat until it thickens. Whisk even more vigorously when it thickens so that you make sure it’s nice and smooth.
- Remove from heat and pour into a heat safe container and let it cool before placing into the fridge to store. It will thicken more as it cools and more in the fridge.
The Best Vegan Lemon Curd
The lemon juice must be freshly squeezed. This will give you the best tasting results in this recipe.
The lemon extract adds to the wonderful lemon flavor, but if you struggle to get hold of it, then you can omit it, there will still be plenty of flavor.
Full fat coconut cream from the can is the best to use for this recipe. Full fat coconut milk will also work just fine. If you have a coconut allergy or just don’t like it, then you can use soy milk or almond milk but the result won’t be quite as rich and creamy.
Cornstarch is crucial to create the thickening effect.
Turmeric is just for color. So if you want to leave it out, you can, but of course you won’t get that gorgeous color!
How To Use Lemon Curd
- It’s divine as a topping! You can serve it on scones, as a topping for vegan ice cream, on vegan pancakes or vegan waffles.
- You can also use it as a filling for a vegan lemon cake or some vegan crepes or a topping for a vegan lemon pound cake.
- It’s also really great mixed into plain vegan yogurt.
Freezing and Storing
This vegan lemon curd lasts a week in the fridge. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months and then thawed overnight in the fridge.
Vegan Lemon Curd
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice, white sugar, lemon extract, salt, coconut cream, cornstarch and turmeric to a saucepan and whisk together.
- Keep whisking and alternately stirring until it thickens. Whisk even more vigorously when it thickens so that you make sure it's nice and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a heat safe container and let it cool before placing into the fridge to store.
- It will thicken more as it cools and even more in the fridge.
- It will keep for around a week in the fridge.
- If you can't get hold of lemon extract then you can omit it. You will lose a little of the lemon flavor but it will still be perfectly delicious.
- Use canned coconut cream. There is no need to separate the cream by chilling the can first, just stir it up and measure out a cup.
- Turmeric is just for color and can be omitted if you prefer. You won't get the bright color but that's also fine!
- This recipe makes just a little shy of two cups (around 450ml).