This vegan lemon pie started out as an idea for a lemon meringue pie.
But I must confess to not yet being brave enough to attempt the meringue part. Even though I’m sure it can’t be that hard. Aquafaba (the liquid that comes along with a can of chickpeas) is working well for the vegan meringues in the blogosphere!
And I definitely appreciated the aquafaba when I made my peppermint chocolate mousse recipe! The texture of that mousse was just divine!
But I haven’t got so far as testing my baking chops with the vegan meringues! But the thought was there. And it’s the thought that counts right?
When thinking about it though I just knew I wanted to make a version using vegan condensed milk. Because a lemon meringue pie in South Africa always uses condensed milk. And my vegan condensed milk recipe has really only been put to serious use once, when I made vegan fudge. So I definitely wanted to use it again.
So my hesitation in going the full monty with a lemon meringue pie instead became a fabulously delicious lemon pie with a ginger cookie crust.
I had no idea when I set out to make this if it would work out or not, but the results were super impressive. It is pure creamy dreamy lemon pie bliss!
I decided to bake the ginger cookies from scratch. But if you want to save time in this recipe, you can definitely use any store-bought vegan ginger cookies.
Crush them up, mix with a bit of melted vegan butter and press down into your pie dish for the base.
Then you need to whip up a batch of vegan condensed milk. Then whip up a double batch of whipped coconut cream. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice and whisk it into the condensed milk. Add some lemon extract and lemon zest for extra lemon flavor, and then fold in the whipped coconut cream.
Pour this out over your ginger cookie crust and then allow to set for several hours (or overnight). Decorate with lemon zest and you have a lemon pie to remember!
I tried making the condensed milk with coconut milk powder at first but it simply didn’t work out. It’s much too thin in consistency to work in this recipe. I found soy milk powder to be the perfect consistency for the condensed milk (as you can see in the picture above, it’s very thick and continues to thicken as it sits, almost like a thick custard).
If you don’t like soy, then you can use rice milk powder too. I haven’t used it myself because I can’t find it locally, but I have seen in other recipes that it produces a similarly thick creamy result.
Also, the stiffer you can get your whipped coconut cream, the better for this recipe. So if you open your cans of coconut cream to scoop off the cream from the top and it has hardened nicely in the fridge then you know you are going to get some really great whipped cream from those. If it hasn’t, you can still whip it, but it’s hard to get it very stiff. The stiffer the better for this recipe, though it works fine even if you can only get it partially stiffened.
You will love this vegan lemon pie, it is:
- Deliciously lemony
- Set on top of a crushed ginger cookie crust!
- Made with vegan condensed milk!
- Insanely good!
Keep it covered in the chilliest part of your fridge so that it remains nice and firm and consume within a few days.
If you have any questions about this lemon pie, post them down below! And if you make this recipe, pop back and rate it and let us know how it turned out! Tag any pics #lovingitvegan on instagram so I can see what you’re cooking up out there!
And if you haven’t already, definitely subscribe to our mailing list! You’ll get a free recipe ebook containing 10 fabulous recipes when you do, and you’ll stay updated with all the vegan deliciousness being posted to the blog!Print
Creamy and deliciously lemony no-bake lemon pie with ginger cookie crust. This vegan lemon pie is made with homemade vegan condensed milk and set on top of a crushed ginger cookie crust!
- For the Crushed Cookie Base:
- 9 oz (255g) Vegan Ginger Biscuits (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/4 cup (56g) Vegan Butter (Melted)
- For the Homemade Vegan Condensed Milk:
- 1 and 1/4 cup (150g) Soy Milk Powder
- 3/4 cup (150g) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Hot Water
- 2 Tbsp (30g) Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- For the Lemon Pie Filling:
- Full Batch Vegan Condensed Milk (as above)
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice (about 3 lemons squeezed)
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Essense
- Double Batch Vegan Whipped Coconut Cream
- For Decorating:
- Lemon Zest
- Prepare the crushed cookie base by crushing the ginger cookies in the food processor or by placing into a ziplock bag and rolling over it with a rolling pin until the cookies are crushed into small pieces.
- Melt the vegan butter on the stove and then pour it over the crushed cookie pieces and mix in.
- Pat down into a pie dish, working it up along the sides as best you can and then place into the freezer to set.
- Prepare your vegan condensed milk. Add the soy milk powder and sugar to your blender jug and blend briefly to mix the powder and sugar together. Then pour out a half cup of boiling water from the kettle into a measuring jug. Add the salt and coconut oil to the hot water. Pour this into the blender and blend for around a minute so that the sugar can be properly melted and you have a very smooth condensed milk.
- Pour this out into a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare your whipped coconut cream. At least the night before place two cans of coconut cream into the coldest part of your refrigerator. The next day carefully remove them from the refrigerator (be careful not to shake) and open them. The cream section will have risen to the top leaving the water at the bottom. Scoop off only the cream section of the two cans into the bowl of an electric mixer. Starting at low speed gradually increase speed until the cream becomes thick. For a full tutorial including video see our how to make vegan whipped cream tutorial. After preparing the whipped cream set it aside.
- Squeeze the lemons and grate the lemon zest.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon essence and lemon zest to the bowl with the condensed milk and whisk with a hand whisk to combine. Then fold in the whipped coconut cream.
- Pour this over the crushed cookie base and place into the fridge for a few hours (or overnight) to set.
- Decorate with lemon zest and serve.
*Prep time does not include time spent setting in the fridge and freezer.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 456
- Sugar: 27.7g
- Sodium: 366mg
- Fat: 25.6g
- Saturated Fat: 18.8g
- Carbohydrates: 52.7g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 4.1g