Creamy and deliciously lemony no-bake vegan lemon pie with ginger cookie crust. Made with homemade vegan condensed milk.
For the Crushed Cookie Base:
- 9oz (255g) Vegan Ginger Cookies (store-bought or homemade)*
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter (Melted)*
For the Lemon Pie Filling:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Homemade Vegan Condensed Milk*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Extract
- Double Batch Vegan Whipped Coconut Cream
- Lemon Zest
- Prepare the crushed cookie base by crushing the ginger cookies in the food processor or by placing into a ziplock bag and rolling over it with a rolling pin until the cookies are crushed into small pieces.
- Melt the vegan butter on the stove and then pour it over the crushed cookie pieces and mix in.
- Pat down into a pie dish, working it up along the sides as best you can and then place into the freezer to set.
- Prepare your vegan condensed milk as per the linked recipe.
- Pour this out into a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare your whipped coconut cream. At least the night before place two cans of coconut cream into the coldest part of your refrigerator. The next day carefully remove them from the refrigerator (be careful not to shake) and open them. The cream section will have risen to the top leaving the water at the bottom. Scoop off only the cream section of the two cans into the bowl of an electric mixer. Starting at low speed gradually increase speed until the cream is whipped. For a full tutorial including video see our how to make vegan whipped cream tutorial. After preparing the whipped cream set it aside.
- Squeeze the lemons and grate the lemon zest.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon extract and lemon zest to the bowl with the condensed milk and whisk with a hand whisk to combine. Then fold in the whipped coconut cream.
- Pour this over the crushed cookie base and place into the fridge for a few hours to set. If it’s still a little on the soft side, let it firm up in the freezer for a bit before serving.
- Decorate with lemon zest and serve.
*If you’re using store-bought vegan ginger cookies, this would be around 30 small cookies. If you’re making homemade ginger cookies using our recipe, then this would use up the whole batch.
*The amount of vegan butter you need for the base does depend on the kind of cookie you use. If you use a very dry snappy cookie (like most store-bought ginger cookies) then you’ll likely need a half cup (112g) of vegan butter, but if you use a different kind of cookie that isn’t as dry or a homemade ginger cookie, you can likely get away with using only a third cup (75g) of vegan butter.
*Our vegan condensed milk page has a full tutorial and video on making homemade vegan condensed milk. It’s made in a blender and it takes literally minutes to make. The full recipe makes the exact amount (360ml) as needed for this lemon pie. Make sure you use soy milk or rice milk powder for the condensed milk though, don’t use coconut milk powder, as the consistency will be too thin for this recipe. If you have a store-bought vegan condensed milk you would prefer to use, this would be fine as well.
*The filling for this pie is gluten-free, so if you wanted to make the whole pie gluten-free, just use a gluten-free cookie for the crust.
*Prep time does not include time spent setting in the fridge and freezer.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 486
- Sugar: 25.3g
- Sodium: 256mg
- Fat: 31.7g
- Saturated Fat: 21g
- Carbohydrates: 48.4g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 3.2g
Keywords: vegan lemon pie