Moist and rich vegan lemon pound cake topped with a lemon glaze. Deliciously lemony and tangy, and easy and fun to make!
For the Lemon Pound Cake:
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 1 cup (200g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Lemon Extract
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour*
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Vegan Buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Zest*
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup (120g) Powdered Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/8 tsp Lemon Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and line it with parchment paper, letting the parchment paper hang over the sides so that the cake can be easily lifted out. Set aside.
- Add the vegan butter and white sugar to an electric mixer and cream them together. Then add in the vanilla extract and the lemon extract and mix in.
- Sift the all purpose flour into a mixing bowl and add the baking powder and salt and mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients in with the creamed butter and sugar mix.
- Prepare your vegan buttermilk by adding 1 Tbsp lemon juice into a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line. Stir it in so it curdles. You can also use almond milk for this step if you prefer.
- Pour the vegan buttermilk in with the other ingredients and mix in with a spoon until combined, but be careful not to overmix.
- Add in the lemon zest and stir in. The batter will be thick.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth it down evenly.
- Place into the oven and bake for 60 minutes. At the 40 minute mark, bring it out and tent the top with foil so that the foil makes a tent shape over the top, and return it to the oven for a final 20 minutes.*
- Lift the cake out with the parchment paper and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely before you add the lemon glaze.
- Add the powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon extract to a bowl and stir it in until well combined. You can use an electric mixer for this if you want to, but I found it very easy to just mix it in with a spoon.
- Spoon the glaze onto the cake and spread it around the top evenly. Allow the glaze to set (if you put the cake into the fridge for 10 minutes, covered, the glaze sets very nicely) before slicing and serving.
*Weigh your flour for the most accurate/best results.
*2 Tbsp of lemon zest is what you’d get from about 2 lemons, depending on the size of the lemons of course. A large lemon might provide enough zest by itself.
*Tenting with foil stops the cake from browning too much on top.
- Category: Dessert, Cakes, Baking
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 278
- Sugar: 31.9g
- Sodium: 363mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 52.9g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 3.3g
Keywords: vegan lemon pound cake