This creamy vegan lentil curry makes a perfect weeknight meal. It’s super easy to make, hearty and filling, and high in protein and fiber. Gluten-free.
For the Lentil Curry:
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Mild Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) Dried Brown Lentils
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Chopped Tomatoes
- 3 cups (720ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Cream
- 2 cups Fresh Basil*
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- Basmati Rice (or sub Cauliflower Rice)
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Lime
- Add the olive oil to a pot with the onion, crushed garlic, curry powder, cumin, coriander powder, turmeric and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in the dried lentils and toss them with the onions and spices.
- Add the cans of chopped tomato, the vegetable stock and the coconut cream. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and cooked – around 35-40 minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked add in the fresh basil and stir in until just wilted. Add the coconut sugar and stir in. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice, fresh basil and some slices of fresh lime.
*You can switch the fresh basil to baby spinach if you prefer.
*Nutritional information is for the lentil curry only and does not include rice.
- Category: Entree, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 8.3g
- Sodium: 625mg
- Fat: 19.9g
- Saturated Fat: 12.4g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 18.5g
- Protein: 15.9g
Keywords: vegan lentil curry