This vegan butternut squash mac and cheese is rich, creamy and super cheesy! It’s also so easy to make and the perfect comfort food.
Roasted Butternut Squash:
- 5 cups (750g) Peeled and Chopped Butternut Squash
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Cashew Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup (150g) Raw Cashew Nuts
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cups (480ml) Vegetable Stock (Divided)
- 18 ounces (500g) Uncooked Pasta*
- Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Add peeled and cubed butternut squash to a mixing bowl along with olive oil, crushed garlic, smoked paprika, sea salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and toss together well.
- Spread it out evenly in a roasting pan or on a parchment lined baking tray and roast in the oven for 35 minutes until roasted.
- While butternut squash is roasting, add raw cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, dijon mustard, lemon juice and 1 cup of vegetable stock to the blender jug and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- 15 minutes before the butternut is finished roasting, cook and drain your pasta.
- When the butternut squash has roasted, add it to the blender jug on top of your cashew cheese sauce. Add in the remaining cup of vegetable stock and blend until you have a smooth sauce.
- Return the cooked pasta to the pot, pour over the sauce and gently toss it together until the pasta is well coated. Stir over low to medium heat for a few minutes to gently warm everything together.
- Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley and ground black pepper.
*We used macaroni pasta but elbow macaroni or penne or shells would also work great.
*If you want to add some veggies in then green veggies like broccoli or peas would be a great addition, also cauliflower, roasted bell peppers, asparagus or zucchini. Just toss the cooked veggies with the pasta and sauce.
*Make It Gluten-Free: Just use a gluten-free pasta to make this meal gluten-free.
*Leftovers keep wonderfully in the fridge for 4-5 days and can be reheated in the microwave or on the stove. You can add in a dash of non-dairy milk when reheating if the sauce gets too thick. It’s also freezer friendly for up to 3 months if you want to freeze it.
*This recipe was first published in October 2017. The recipe has been updated with new photos and an improved and simplified recipe.
- Category: Entree, Savory
- Method: Oven, Blender, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 555
- Sugar: 6.4g
- Sodium: 433mg
- Fat: 14.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 87.9g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Protein: 19.1g
Keywords: vegan butternut squash mac and cheese