These vegan mashed sweet potatoes are so delicious! They’re mixed with vegan butter and non-dairy milk for a classic, flavorful side dish.
- 4 pounds (1800g) Sweet Potatoes (Peeled and Diced)
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Non-Dairy Milk*
- Salt and Pepper (To Taste)*
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes (2″ chunks). Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add your diced sweet potatoes along with a little salt (~1 teaspoon salt). Cover the pot and boil them until tender. About 15 minutes.
- Drain your sweet potatoes and let them sit in a colander for a few minutes to dry out. Then return them to the pot.
- Add the vegan butter and mash the potatoes and the vegan butter together.
- Add the non-dairy milk and mash that in until your potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot topped with a few knobs of vegan butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon (optional).
*You can use any non-dairy milk. We used soy milk but we have also tested this with full fat canned unsweetened coconut milk for an even richer and creamier option. It’s delicious both ways.
*If you want a sweeter version of this recipe then add in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and mash it in along with the vegan butter and non-dairy milk.
*Seasonings: We found salt and pepper to be sufficient in terms of seasonings as the flavor of the sweet potatoes really shines without much assistance. A light sprinkle of cinnamon on top when serving can be a good addition as well.
*Leftover sweet potato mash will keep very well in a covered container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Category: Side, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 9.4g
- Sodium: 275mg
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 45.5g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Protein: 3.7g
Keywords: vegan mashed sweet potatoes