Hearty and satisfying vegan meatloaf. This deliciously simple comfort food is richly flavored and glazed with a sweet and spicy tomato sauce.
For the Vegan Meatloaf:
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Small Onion (100g / finely chopped)
- 2 15oz (425g) Cans Chickpeas
- 4 Slices Brown or Whole Wheat Bread (~160g) processed into breadcrumbs*
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
For the Tomato Glaze:
- 1/4 cup (56g) Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- Fresh Basil (Optional)
- Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic to a frying pan with the olive oil and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and line it with parchment paper so that the meatloaf can be easily lifted out. Set aside.
- Drain the chickpeas and add to a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork until roughly mashed.
- Make your breadcrumbs by breaking up the 4 slices of bread and placing into a blender and pulse blending until it makes breadcrumbs.*
- Add the breadcrumbs, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, dijon mustard, flaxseed meal, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, tomato paste and cayenne pepper to the mixing bowl. Add in the cooked onions and garlic. Mix very well into a thick batter. Make sure everything is evenly mixed (it’s a very thick mix). Transfer this into the parchment lined loaf pan and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is baking, mix the tomato paste, brown sugar, maple syrup, garlic powder, salt and paprika in a bowl and stir together.
- When the meatloaf has baked for 30 minutes, remove it from the oven and remove the foil. Spread on the tomato glaze evenly and return it to the oven, (no foil, uncovered) to bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the loaf pan by lifting the meatloaf out with the parchment paper.
- Slice and serve with fresh basil.
*I used 4 slices of a regular pre-sliced thick cut sandwich bread for the breadcrumbs. It makes around 2 cups of breadcrumbs. Please note that if you use a store-bought version of breadcrumbs instead that you will then need less than 2 cups. This recipe was designed around the use of homemade breadcrumbs, so using store-bought breadcrumbs can result in a consistency that is too dry. If you are subbing a store-bought variety, add them in slowly and don’t use as much as 2 cups. I have not tested this recipe with a store-bought version so can’t be sure of the measure that will work best. It will be most accurate if you make your own breadcrumbs for this recipe.
*The tomato glaze is so good that we sometimes double it and use all of it for a thicker tomato glaze topping! If you like it as much as we do, you might want to do the same.
*This recipe was recently slightly updated and improved.
- Category: Entree, Dinner, Savory
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 164
- Sugar: 7.9g
- Sodium: 504mg
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 25.8g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 6.6g
Keywords: vegan meatloaf