These vegan molasses cookies are soft and chewy and spiced with cinnamon, ginger and molasses. The ideal holiday cookie!
- 3/4 cup (170g) Vegan Butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Unsulphured Molasses
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 and 1/4 cups (280g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 and 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup (50g) White Granulated Sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add vegan butter and light brown sugar to the bowl of your stand mixer and cream them together until smooth.
- Add molasses and vanilla and mix in. Add all purpose flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt and mix in with a spoon (don’t use your electric mixer for this part) until crumbly.
- Add soy milk (or another non-dairy milk), only as much as needed to get it to a consistency that can be easily rolled into balls. If your vegan butter is a very soft variety then you may not need to add any non-dairy milk at all.
- Break off pieces of the dough and roll into balls. Roll the balls in sugar. Place them on your parchment lined baking tray. Aim to get 20 cookies from the batch. Flatten with a fork before baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool and firm up directly on the baking tray.
*Molasses: Use unsulphured molasses. Grandma’s molasses works great.
*Storing: Keep your cookies stored in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 4 days. They can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container as well for up to a week. Let them come to room temperature before serving.
*Freezing: They are also freezer friendly for up to 3 months.
*This recipe was first published in November 2018. It has been slightly updated with extra tips but the recipe itself is unchanged.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie (of 20)
- Calories: 151
- Sugar: 12.2g
- Sodium: 156mg
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 1.4g
Keywords: vegan molasses cookies