This vegan moussaka is deliciously layered with baked eggplant, homemade vegan mince and a creamy vegan bechamel sauce. Ultimate comfort food.
For the Eggplant:
- 2 Large Eggplants (~10.5oz/300g each, Sliced)
- Olive Oil (For Brushing)
- Sprinkle Salt and Pepper
For the Vegan Mince:
- 1 8oz (~220g) Block Extra Firm Tofu (Pressed)
- 1 cup (100g) Walnuts (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Pack (8oz/226g) Button Mushrooms (Finely Chopped)*
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Brown Lentils (Drained)*
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Medium Stalks Celery (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Medium to Large Red Bell Pepper (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (130g) Tomato Paste
- 1 cup (240ml) Marinara Sauce*
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Salt (To Taste)
For the Bechamel Sauce:
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup (94g) All Purpose Flour
- 8 cups (1930ml) Soy Milk
- Black Pepper (To Taste)
- Sea Salt (To Taste)
For Decoration (Optional):
- Dried Oregano
- Ground Black Pepper
- Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
- Start off by putting your tofu on to press. If you have a tofu press, this is perfect to use, but if not, you can place the block of tofu on a plate, with another plate on top of it and then place something heavy on top of that, like a heavy pot or a heavy stack of books.
- While the tofu is pressing, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and slice your eggplant into round slices about 1/4 inch thick, brush with olive oil and sprinkle on a bit of salt and pepper and place onto parchment lined trays (we used two half sheet trays).
- Place the eggplant into the oven and bake for 25 minutes, turning them over around the halfway mark.
- Prepare your vegan mince. Add walnuts to the food processor and process into crumbles and add to a mixing bowl. Then add sliced mushrooms to the food processor and process until finely chopped and add in with the walnuts in the mixing bowl.
- When the tofu is pressed, mash it with a fork and add to the mixing bowl. Then add in the lentils and toss everything together.
- Add the olive oil, chopped onion, celery and red pepper to a pot and sauté until softened. Add in some crushed garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano, rosemary and cinnamon.
- Then add your walnut, mushroom, tofu and lentil mix and toss together with the vegetables and spices.
- Add in some tomato paste, marinara sauce and soy sauce and fry for about 8 minutes until you have cooked off any excess liquid and have a delicious soft mince texture.
- Add in some coconut sugar, black pepper and sea salt to taste.
- Prepare your bechamel sauce. Add the olive oil to a pot and heat it. Then add in the flour and fry it in the oil for a minute, then add in all the soy milk at once and stir vigorously until well combined. Alternate between a wooden spoon and a whisk while heating it to remove any lumps. It can tend to stick to the bottom of the pot so make sure you are scraping the bottom of the pot constantly and then whisking it in. Keep stirring and whisking until it reaches a rolling boil and then let it boil while you continue to stir until it thickens. When it’s nicely thickened, add black pepper and salt to taste.
- Assemble your moussaka. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Place half of the eggplant along the bottom of a 9×13 oven-safe dish. Then add in all the vegan mince into a thick layer. Then top the vegan mince with the remaining sliced eggplant. Add all of the bechamel sauce and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Place into the oven to bake for 40 minutes switching to grill for the last 5 minutes so that it can brown on top.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes on the countertop before serving. Decorate with sprinkles of dried oregano, paprika, ground black pepper and sprigs of fresh rosemary.
*You can use any marinara sauce that you like the taste of.
- Category: Entree, Savory
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, Greek
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
- Calories: 581
- Sugar: 10.7g
- Sodium: 676mg
- Fat: 39.2g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6g
- Carbohydrates: 41.3g
- Fiber: 7.8g
- Protein: 20.1g
Keywords: vegan moussaka