Stretchy melty and so cheesy you won’t believe you made it yourself vegan mozzarella! Super easy, divine on pizza and grilled cheese sandwiches!
- Add all the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Then pour out into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. It will start to thicken and clump together, just stir very vigorously and it will smooth out.
- As soon as it starts to bubble along the sides, set your timer for 2 minutes and keep stirring, after the 2 minutes has timed out, remove from the heat, pour it out into two ramekins sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Place them into the fridge for at least 1 hour to set. At this stage you have mozzarella cheese that is ready to be used! Use an ice cream scoop to scoop mozzarella balls to use on pizza!
- The longer the vegan mozzarella stays in the fridge the firmer it will get, but it will still remain a soft cheese.
*I tried a version with soaked cashews (soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes) and a version where they were not soaked and there was no difference that I could tell, so I do not see a reason to soak the cashews here.
*Refined coconut oil is a better choice here as it is neutral in taste so the end result doesn’t have a coconut flavor. However, I have tried a version using extra virgin coconut oil, and it’s still very tasty but it definitely does result in a coconut flavored cheese. If you prefer to use extra virgin coconut oil, you can go ahead, but just know that your end result is going to be coconut flavored.
*Adapted from The Buddhist Chef
*This recipe was first published in April 2018.
- Category: Savory, Gluten-Free, How To
- Method: Blender, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Mozzarella Ball (of 26)
- Calories: 61
- Sugar: 0.3g
- Sodium: 91mg
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 1.9g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.6g
Keywords: vegan mozzarella