Stretchy melty and so cheesy you won’t believe you made it yourself vegan mozzarella! Super easy, divine on pizza and inside grilled cheese sandwiches and wherever else gorgeous gooey mozzarella balls are needed!
- Add all the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Then pour out into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. It will start to thicken and clump together, just stir very vigorously and it will smooth out.
- As soon as it starts to bubble along the sides, set your timer for 2 minutes and keep stirring, after the 2 minutes has timed out, remove from the heat, pour it out into two ramekins sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Place them into the fridge for at least 1 hour to set. At this stage you have mozzarella cheese that is ready to be used! Use an ice cream scoop to scoop mozzarella balls to use on pizza!
- The longer the vegan mozzarella stays in the fridge the firmer it will get, but it will still remain a soft cheese.
*I tried a version with soaked cashews (soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes) and a version where they were not soaked and there was no difference that I could tell, so I do not see a reason to soak the cashews here.
*Refined coconut oil is a better choice here as it is neutral in taste so the end result doesn’t have a coconut flavor. However, I have tried a version using extra virgin coconut oil, and it’s still very tasty but it definitely does result in a coconut flavored cheese. If you prefer to use extra virgin coconut oil, you can go ahead, but just know that your end result is going to be coconut flavored.
*Adapted from The Buddhist Chef
- Category: Savory, Gluten-Free, How To
- Method: Blender, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Mozzarella Ball (of 26)
- Calories: 61
- Sugar: 0.3g
- Sodium: 91mg
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 1.9g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.6g
Keywords: vegan mozzarella