Moist, fudgy and mega chocolatey vegan mug cake that is ready in minutes! Perfect to satisfy that late night chocolate cake craving!
So how’s this… you’re sitting at home watching Netflix on a Sunday night and you get a craving for chocolate cake. But you are not going to go and make a whole freaking cake right now, I mean… who has time. You need to get back to binge watching that show!
Enter the vegan mug cake. The cake you can bake in 90 seconds, in a mug, in the microwave. In a perfect one serving portion. And it tastes every bit as good as the best chocolate cake! Can it get any better?
Well yes, if you put a little vegan cream on top of it, then it gets even better!
How to make Vegan Mug Cake
- Add some all purpose flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt to a coffee mug.
- Mix it up.
- Add some non-dairy milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix it up into a smooth batter.
- Add in some vegan chocolate chips.
- Fold them into the batter.
- Bake in the microwave on high for 90 seconds.
- Add a few more vegan chocolate chips to the top.
- Add a dollop of vegan cream (optional) and serve!
Pro Tips for the Best Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
Make sure you stir it very well. You can use a small whisk (called a whiskette, such a cute name!) to mix the batter, but definitely also stir with a teaspoon making sure you get all the flour from the bottom mixed in.
It’s a common thing to get to the bottom of your mug cake and find a bunch of dry flour that didn’t mix in properly before you baked it. You could also mix the ingredients separately and then add it to your mug, but that just creates an extra dish to wash and this mug cake is all about getting your dessert fix with minimal effort. So just make sure you mix it well.
We used regular white granulated sugar but if you want to use coconut sugar instead you can definitely do so.
You can use any non-dairy milk. We used soy milk, but almond milk or really any plant milk that you know is generally fine in baking will work here.
Any vegetable oil is also fine to use here. We used canola oil, but any vegetable oil will work fine.
The vegan chocolate chips are optional, but recommended! This a dream dessert for chocoholics, and the chocolate chips add all the gooey melted chocolate deliciousness you want.
Let it cool for a few minutes before eating it. It’s wonderful to eat it hot, but not nuclear. It takes a few minutes to cool down to an edible temperature.
Can I make this Vegan Mug Cake Without Oil?
Yes you can! If you prefer to be oil-free, you can switch the vegetable oil for applesauce. The cake will be less rich, but still good.
Can I make this Vegan Mug Cake Gluten-Free?
Yes you can. Just switch the all purpose flour for a gluten free all purpose flour blend. Everything else remains the same.
Can I make this Vegan Mug Cake in the Oven?
I have not tested this recipe in any way other than the microwave. But I think if you wanted to try it in the oven, you could do so.
My best guess would be to bake it at 350°F (180°C) for 12-15 minutes. Keep a watch on it, as this is just a guess. You would need to make sure to use an oven safe mug or ramekin to bake it in. If you do try it like this, let us know how it goes!
How to Serve a Vegan Mug Cake?
A few extra vegan chocolate chips sprinkled on top are really all you need. This way it tastes great AND looks great.
So I hope you’ll love this chocolate vegan mug cake! It is:
- Moist and fudgy!
- Mega chocolatey
- Ready in minutes!
- Single Serving
- Divine as is or with a scoop of vegan cream or ice cream!
Let it cool for a few minutes before serving and then get out a spoon and enjoy it warm.
More Vegan Chocolate!
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Brownies
- Classic Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Vegan Hot Chocolate
- Homemade Vegan Chocolate
- Vegan Chocolate Muffins
So what do you think of this vegan mug cake recipe? Let us know in the comments and please rate the recipe too, thanks so much.
Sign up to our email list and we’ll send you an awesome (free) recipe ebook containing 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes. You’ll also be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog.
Vegan Mug Cake
For Serving (Optional):
- Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Vegan Whipped Cream
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt to a coffee mug and mix together.
- Add the soy milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix it up into a smooth batter. Stir well and make sure the flour at the bottom of the mug is properly mixed in.
- Add the vegan chocolate chips and fold them into the batter.
- Bake in the microwave on high for 90 seconds.* (See Notes)
- Let it cool for a few minutes and then add a few more vegan chocolate chips to the top and a dollop of vegan whipped cream (optional).
- If you want to make this mug cake gluten-free you can use gluten-free all purpose flour instead of the regular flour, in the same quantity.
- Microwaves vary and if you have a much more powerful microwave than mine, you might be able to cook it for a shorter time. My microwave is 900 watts and 90 seconds was perfect. That should help you figure out if yours should cook for a shorter time or not. In any case, keep an eye on it and be prepared to be flexible with the cooking time if needed.
- Nutritional information is for the mug cake only and doesn't include any vegan cream or ice cream that you may serve it with.