This vegan mushroom gravy is packed with mushroom flavor and totally divine poured over absolutely everything. Rich, creamy and perfect.
- 1/4 cup (56g) Vegan Butter
- 1 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 2 and 1/2 cups (240g) White Button Mushrooms*
- 4 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (240ml) Canned Coconut Milk*
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Sea Salt (To Taste)
- Melt the vegan butter in a saucepan and then add the chopped onions and garlic and fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and fry with the onions until the mushrooms have softened a little and started to release some of their water.
- In a measuring jug mix the flour with a little of the coconut milk into a thick paste. Then add the rest of the coconut milk and whisk it together until smooth, making sure there are no lumps from the flour.
- Then add the coconut milk/flour mix to the pot along with the soy sauce and vegetable stock.
- Stir continuously and bring it to the boil. Once boiling keep stirring for a few minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add black pepper and sea salt to taste.
*You could also use cremini mushrooms (baby bella/portobellini) instead of white button mushrooms.
*This must be full fat, unsweetened canned coconut milk. It cannot be sweetened drinking coconut milk as that will NOT work in this recipe. If you have a coconut allergy or wish to use something else then soy milk or almond milk will work as substitutes.
*To make this gravy gluten-free make it with a gluten-free all purpose flour blend and a gluten-free soy sauce.
*This recipe was first published in November 2018.
- Category: Side, Savory, Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 91
- Sugar: 2.1g
- Sodium: 228mg
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 5.6g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 1.5g
Keywords: vegan mushroom gravy