Rich and creamy vegan mushroom pasta. Packed with mushrooms and mushroom flavor and ready in 30 minutes or less. The perfect weeknight meal.
- 3 Tbsp (45g) Vegan Butter
- 1 Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 18oz (500g) Mushrooms (Sliced)*
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 4 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Milk
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
For the Pasta:
- 1/2 Pack (~9oz/250g) Penne Pasta*
- Put the pasta on to cook according to the package instructions.
- Then add the vegan butter to a pot along with the chopped onions and fry until the onions are softened.
- Then add the sliced mushrooms, crushed garlic and oregano and fry until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add the all purpose flour and fry with the mushrooms for around 1 minute before adding the coconut milk and vegetable stock. Stir in until combined and then keep stirring until it reaches a simmer. It will usually be the perfect thickness by the time it reaches a simmer or soon after.
- Add in the salt, black pepper and dijon mustard and stir in.
- Add the cooked pasta in with the sauce and toss together until well coated.
- Serve with some fresh chopped cilantro and a sprinkle of black pepper.
*We used brown button mushrooms – also called portobellini mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms or cremini mushrooms. You can also use regular white button mushrooms in this recipe but they are not quite as flavorful.
*You can use any pasta for this. Penne works great, but so does linguine or any type of pasta that you like.
*To adapt this recipe for gluten-free, use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend in the same quantity OR use half the amount of cornstarch (so it would be 2 Tbsp cornstarch), and then of course use a gluten-free pasta and you are good to go.
- Category: Entree, Savory
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 558
- Sugar: 7.6g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 27.4g
- Saturated Fat: 16.4g
- Carbohydrates: 62.5g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 14.1g
Keywords: vegan mushroom pasta