This vegan mushroom pâté makes the perfect party appetizer served with crackers or crusty bread. It is ultra creamy, packed with mushroom flavor, and so easy to make.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (225g) Raw Cashews (soaked in hot water for 1 hour)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Canned Coconut Cream*
- 1 tsp Distilled White Vinegar*
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 5 cups (480g) Cremini Mushrooms (Sliced)*
- 3 Tbsp Dry Sherry*
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Fresh Crusty Bread
- Place raw cashews into a bowl and pour over boiling hot water from the kettle. Leave to soak for one hour and then drain and rinse.
- Add the soaked cashews (drained) to your blender jug along with lemon juice, coconut cream, distilled white vinegar, salt and onion powder. Blend until smooth. Set aside to use later.
- Add olive oil and chopped onion to a frying pan or skillet on medium heat. Sauté the onions until softened.
- Add crushed garlic, dried rosemary and red pepper flakes and sauté for a minute to toast the spices.
- Add sliced mushrooms and sauté until they have released water and the water cooks off.
- Pour in the sherry and add sea salt and black pepper and sauté until the sherry cooks off.
- Turn off the heat and pour in the cashew blend and stir in until well mixed.
- Transfer the mushroom mix to the food processor. Add fresh chopped parsley and process together until well mixed but still a little chunky.
- Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley and with crackers or fresh crusty bread on the side.
*Coconut cream – should be canned and unsweetened. You can also use canned, full fat, unsweetened coconut milk.
*White vinegar – distilled white vinegar is the perfect vinegar to use though apple cider vinegar can also work in a pinch.
*Cremini mushrooms – also known as portobellinis or baby bellas are great for this pâté as they are very flavorful. White button mushrooms would also work.
*Dry sherry – you can switch this for vegetable stock if you don’t want to use alcohol. The sherry is great for flavor though and the alcohol does cook off.
*Make ahead: This pâté is great to make ahead as it keeps really well in the fridge for 3-4 days. So if you want to make it a day or two before it’s needed that works great.
*Storing: Keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. If any separation occurs just stir it up.
Freezing: It is freezer friendly up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the fridge and give it a good stir before serving.
- Category: Appetizer, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 123
- Sugar: 1.9g
- Sodium: 228mg
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrates: 6.8g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 3.6g
Keywords: vegan mushroom pâté