Rich and creamy vegan mushroom sauce made with homemade cashew cream for a seriously delicious sauce that is divine over anything and everything!
I have been in love with mushroom sauce for a long time! Way before I was vegan I was seriously into mushroom sauce over anything and everything.
And seriously I think the vegan version is better!
It’s not only completely divine, it’s also really versatile and can be used so many different ways.
And then… along with being insanely delicious it’s also so easy to make! Bonus!
Of course if you love mushrooms then you’ll love our delicious vegan stuffed mushrooms too, so check those out. Another amazing sauce that elevates anything you pour it on is our vegan peppercorn sauce.
How to Make Vegan Mushroom Sauce
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Add raw cashews, water and salt to a blender jug and blend into a smooth cashew cream. Set aside.
- Now add vegan butter and olive oil to a frying pan along with crushed garlic and dried thyme and heat that together, then add in sliced mushrooms and cook until they’re softened.
- Add vegetable stock and the full batch of homemade cashew cream. Lower the heat and simmer and stir until it thickens. Add some salt and pepper and you have a sauce to remember!
Pro Tips for the Best Creamy Vegan Mushroom Sauce
We used both vegan butter and oil in this recipe, which might seem odd, but I was reading somewhere that using a little oil along with butter can make the butter seem to go further! So I gave it a try and well… it certainly seemed to work great in this recipe.
We used cremini mushrooms in this recipe, also known as baby bella’s or portobellini mushrooms. You can use white button mushrooms instead, that would also work fine in this recipe.
And for serving, oh my this sauce is super versatile and would be totally divine served over vegan ‘meats’ like vegan steak or vegan chicken. It would also be wonderful over a baked potato or served with pasta or rice or even over vegan mashed potatoes or vegan cauliflower mashed potatoes.
It’s really an ‘everything’ sauce in that it would go great with pretty much anything savory.
Storing and Freezing
Keep leftovers in the fridge and consume within 3-4 days. It is also freezer friendly if you’d like to freeze it.
More Vegan Mushroom Recipes
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- Vegan Mushroom Risotto
- Baked Portobello Mushrooms
- Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Mushroom Pasta
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Mushroom Sauce
- 1 cup Raw Cashews (150g)
- 1/2 cup Water (120ml)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Prepare the cashew cream. Add the cashews, water and salt to the blender jug and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare the mushroom sauce. Add the vegan butter and oil to a frying pan and then add the crushed garlic and dried thyme and sauté together until the butter is melted and the mix is heated.
- Then add in the sliced mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add in the vegetable stock and all the cashew cream and stir it in. Lower the heat and bring to a simmer and keep stirring until it's thickened.
- Add salt and black pepper.
- Serve over anything and everything that needs a sauce (more ideas in the blog post)!
- Cashews. You don’t have to soak the cashews first unless you have a weaker model blender. If you need to soak them first then you can place them in a bowl, pour over boiling water from the kettle and leave to soak for 15 minutes to soften and then drain and rinse.
- Mushrooms. We used cremini mushrooms, also called portobellini mushrooms or baby bella’s. You can also use regular white button mushrooms in this recipe.