Rich and creamy vegan mushroom sauce made with homemade cashew cream for a seriously delicious sauce that is divine over anything and everything!
- Add the vegan butter and oil to a frying pan and then add the crushed garlic and dried thyme and sauté together until the butter is melted and the mix is heated.
- Then add in the sliced mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add in the vegetable stock and cashew cream and stir in. Lower the heat and bring to a simmer and keep stirring until it’s thickened.
- Add salt and black pepper.
- Serve over anything and everything that needs a sauce (more ideas in the blog post)!
*We used brown button mushrooms – also called portobellini mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms or cremini mushrooms. You can also use regular white button mushrooms in this recipe.
*If you are using cashew cream that you’ve made according to a different recipe and not our recipe (though our recipe is recommended as that is what was tested) then the amount to use is 1 cup (8oz/226g). If you make it using our recipe, then just use all of it in this recipe and there is no need to measure it out.
*The cashew cream recipe as written uses 1 Tbsp of lemon juice. This gives it a bit of a tang which of course adds that tang to this mushroom sauce. We tried this sauce with the cashew cream made as written, and then we also tried it without the lemon juice, just with a Tbsp of extra water to replace the lemon juice. We liked it both ways, but with the lemon juice it has more of a tang, which is more reminiscent of a vegan mushroom stroganoff. whereas without the lemon juice, the flavor is more of a classic mushroom sauce flavor.
- Category: Savory, Side, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the Recipe
- Calories: 306
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 760mg
- Fat: 24.6g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrates: 15.5g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 9.3g
Keywords: vegan mushroom sauce