These vegan no-bake chocolate caramel tarts are just pure decadence.
I got the recipe idea from a Tasty video I saw on facebook, and thought – hey! That could easily be veganized! You know, as you do.
It’s a simple 3-layer chocolate caramel tart, starting with a crushed oreo base and then a gooey caramel center and topped with chocolate ganache.
The caramel center is tricky, it involves boiling sugar, and boiling sugar is always a bit tricky. I didn’t use a sugar thermometer this time – usually if I’m boiling sugar, I want to know exactly what temperature I should boil it to, and that is why my honeycomb crunchies and my vegan fudge come out so well!
But this was the much more vague ‘watching the color of the boiling sugar’ method. Tricky.
The reason you have to just watch the color is that the changes are so quick and the temperature gets very high. If you were waiting to see it register on a sugar thermometer, it would burn before you got it off the heat. At least this is what happened with me and my sugar thermometer. So even if the method is more vague, it is still more successful to just watch the color than to use a sugar thermometer for this one.
I found a great resource on What’s Cooking America with pictures of what exactly you’re watching for with the color, and if you want to use a candy thermometer (if yours is super fast with registering temperature) then the temperature you’re going for is 340°F. It literally hits the right color – a dark amber – a couple of seconds before it burns.
So you have to keep a beady eye on it and the literal second it hits that dark amber color, you whip it right off the heat. Then it’s just a case of stirring in some coconut cream and vanilla and there’s your caramel!
It’s a gooey caramel though, it doesn’t set. If you wanted a more set version of caramel you could use a date caramel or our 3-ingredient caramel sauce which is made with coconut butter and sets into a delicious fudge when cooled.
You will love these gorgeous vegan no-bake chocolate caramel tarts! They are:
- Super cute mini tarts!
- Set on top of a chocolate oreo base!
- Gooey caramel and chocolate ganache!
- A perfect treat
Keep them in the fridge and serve them cold straight from the fridge for best results.
So let me know what you think of these cute chocolate caramel tarts! If you make them, let me know how they turned out! And if you take any pics, tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram!
And do sign up to our email list, you’ll be the first to know about new recipes posted to the blog AND you’ll get an awesome free ebook with 10 great recipes!
Vegan no-bake chocolate caramel tarts with a crushed oreo cookie base, a gooey caramel center and a chocolate ganache topping.
- For the Crusts:
- 24 Oreos
- 1/4 cup (56g) Vegan Butter/Margarine
- For the Caramel Centers:
- 1.5 cups (150g) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Water
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Coconut Cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- For the Chocolate Ganache Topping:
- 7oz (200g) Vegan Dark Chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Coconut Cream
- For Decoration:
- Dried Coconut
- Crush the oreos into fine crumbles either in a food processor or by placing them into a ziplock bag and rolling over them repeatedly with a rolling pin.
- Melt the vegan butter and pour over the crushed oreos and mix in.
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray and cut strips of parchment paper and press down into each muffin partition. The non-stick spay will help the strips of parchment paper to stick.
- Spoon out equal amounts of oreo crumbles on top and press down with your fingers, carefully working it up the sides. Place into the freezer to set for 2 hours.
- When the 2 hours is almost up, prepare your caramel.
- Add sugar and water to a pot. Turn on the heat and leave it to boil – do not stir. Boil it until the color changes to a deep amber (about 10 minutes). The color will start to change and will quickly cycle through the color stages, lightest amber, medium amber and then a deep amber, remove it immediately when it reaches this stage as seconds later it will be burnt.
- As soon as you take it off the heat add in the coconut cream and vanilla and stir in vigorously. Be very careful as it rapidly foams up up as soon as you add in the coconut cream. Make sure you are stirring with a long wooden spoon so won’t get burnt.
- Divide the caramel mixture between the tarts. Freeze for 1 hour to set.
- When the caramel has set (it doesn’t set all the way it is still gooey), then it’s time to prepare your chocolate ganache topping.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and add to bowl. Heat the coconut cream to a simmer and then pour it over the chocolate. Leave it for a minute to give the chocolate a chance to melt and then whisk it up with a hand whisk into a thick chocolate sauce.
- Pour this over the top of the caramel and place into the fridge to set for 1 hour before serving.
- Sprinkle dried coconut over the top to decorate.
*Prep time excludes time spent setting in the freezer and fridge.
*Recipe adapted from Buzzfeed Tasty.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Tart (of 12)
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 24.5g
- Sodium: 138mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 10.3g
- Carbohydrates: 33.2g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 3.2g