This vegan oreo cake looks like a giant oreo cookie! Oreo cookies are baked into the chocolate cake layers and it has a creamy vanilla center and vegan chocolate buttercream frosting.
For the Oreo Cookie Layers:
- 42 Oreo Cookies
For the Vegan Chocolate Cake:
- 2 and 1/4 cups (281g) All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup (63g) Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) White Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Soy Milk*
- 3 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp White Vinegar*
- 1 and 1/2 Flax Eggs (1 and 1/2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal mixed with 4 and 1/2 Tbsp Hot Water)
For the Vanilla Frosting Center:
- 1/4 cup (56g) Vegan Butter
- 2 and 1/2 cups (300g) Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk*
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Vegan Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- 3/4 cup (170g) Vegan Butter
- 4 cups (480g) Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup (42g) Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup Soy Milk*
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 6 Oreo Cookies (Crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spray two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick spray and line the bottoms with circles of parchment paper.
- Then place oreo cookies along the bottom of the pans. I used 21 cookies in each pan. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and then add the sugar, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 and 1/2 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal with 4 and 1/2 Tbsp hot water from the kettle and leave it for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add in the soy milk, vanilla, oil, vinegar and flax eggs to the mixing bowl and mix in. Use a hand whisk briefly just to remove any lumps.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans, pouring it over the oreo cookies at the base of the cake pans and quickly smoothing it down so that it properly covers the oreo cookies. The layer of batter is quite thin so you want to smooth it out to the edges of the pan so that the oreos are all covered.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool for a few minutes and then remove them from the cake pans and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- While the cakes are baking, prepare your vanilla frosting center by adding the vegan butter, powdered sugar, soy milk and vanilla extract t to the bowl of a stand mixer and starting off at slow speed, gradually increase speed until thick and smooth. See my notes below about the soy milk, you might not need all of it, though I used it all. Set aside.
- Prepare your vegan chocolate buttercream frosting. Add the vegan butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, soy milk and vanilla to the bowl of the stand mixer and starting at slow speed, gradually increase speed until thick and smooth. If your ingredients are threatening to jump out of the bowl when you start (if you have a small bowl for your mixer) then hold a tea towel over the bowl when it starts mixing. See the note about soy milk for the frosting in the notes below, it’s possible you may not need to use all the soy milk, though I used the full amount.
- Place one of the cake layers, oreo cookie side up, on a cake stand. Add all the vanilla frosting and smooth it evenly over the cake into a thick layer.
- Then place the second cake layer, oreo cookie side down, on top of it. Frost the tops and sides of the cake with the chocolate buttercream. You can put it on thickly and there will still be a little left over for some piping detail if you want to add that.
- Crush up the 6 oreos and decorate the cake with the cookie crumbles.
*You can use almond milk instead of soy milk.
*You can use any vegetable oil instead of extra virgin olive oil.
*You can use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.
*When adding the soy milk to the frosting recipes, go slow. Some brands of vegan butter have a higher water content than others, it’s possible you may not need to use all the soy milk recommended. This is how much I used but different brands of vegan butter can have differences in their water content.
*This recipe has been updated, my original recipe did not use parchment paper along the bottoms of the pans, but we re-tested it and found it works great with parchment paper along the bottoms and lets the cakes come out really easily, with no impact on the crispiness of the cookies baked into the cake bases.
- Category: Dessert, Baking
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 14)
- Calories: 753
- Sugar: 92.5g
- Sodium: 514mg
- Fat: 27.3g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 126g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 6.4g
Keywords: vegan oreo cake