Rich and creamy vegan pasta bake that feeds a crowd AND you can make it in advance so it’s perfect for a dinner party! It’s comforting, satisfying, and leftovers are simply divine too!
For the Pasta:
- 18oz (500g) Penne
For the Bolognese Sauce:
- 1 Medium White or Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 18oz (500g) Button Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup (130g) Tomato Paste
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Lentils (or 1 and 1/2 cups cooked lentils)
- 2 Cans (15oz/425g each) Chopped Tomato
- 1–2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
For the Cashew Cream:
- 1 cup (150g) Raw Cashews
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
For the White Sauce:
- Put the pasta on to cook while you prepare the vegetables for the bolognese sauce. When the pasta is cooked, drain it, cover it (to prevent it from drying out) and set aside.
- Prepare your bolognese sauce. Add the onion and garlic to a pot with the olive oil and fry until softened. Then add in the sliced mushrooms and soy sauce. Cover the pot for a minute and allow the mushrooms to release their water. Then remove the lid from the pot and let the water from the mushrooms cook off a little. Add in the tomato paste and lentils. Then add in the canned tomato. Bring to a simmer. Add in the sugar to balance out the flavor and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare your cashew cream. Add the cashews, lemon juice, water and salt to the blender jug and blend until smooth.
- Add the cashew cream to your bolognese sauce and mix it in. Then add your pasta and mix it all in together.
- Now prepare your white sauce. Add the vegan butter to a saucepan and let it melt and start to sizzle just a little. Add in the flour and stir it quickly, then add in the coconut milk and vegetable stock and whisk it very quickly to get rid of the lumps. Then switch to a wooden spoon and keep stirring while you bring it to the boil. Once it boils keep stirring for about another 4 minutes until thickened. Then remove from heat and add in the black pepper, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast and sea salt.
- Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C).
- Place the pasta and bolognese mix into a rectangular oven-safe dish and smooth down.
- Pour the white sauce over the top and smooth down.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes until golden on top.
*If you want to make this in advance then complete all the steps except for baking it in the oven. Keep the dish covered in the fridge and when you’re ready, pop it in the oven to bake.
*Leftovers keep very well in the fridge and can be reheated the next day.
- Category: Entree, Dinner, Savory
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
- Calories: 569
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 684mg
- Fat: 23.1g
- Saturated Fat: 9.3g
- Carbohydrates: 74.1g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Protein: 19.1g