Gorgeous vegan peppermint cupcakes with a pink swirl peppermint frosting! These vegan cupcakes are moist, spongey and sooo pretty. Loaded with peppermint flavor, this is a winner for anyone who loves peppermint, and cupcakes!
For the Peppermint Cupcakes:
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or Almond Milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar*
For the Pink Swirl Peppermint Frosting:
- 1/4 cup (56g) Vegan Butter
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 3 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Couple of drops of pink (or red) food coloring
- Crushed Peppermint Candy Canes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Then add the soy milk, vanilla, peppermint, oil and vinegar and using a hand whisk, whisk it up briefly to remove any big lumps (tiny lumps are fine!).
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Add the vegan butter, powdered sugar, peppermint extract and soy milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and beginning on low speed, gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar, if it’s too thick, add soy milk a drop at a time until you reach the right consistency. It should be thick (as pictured) to be able to pipe it properly.
- Divide the frosting into two bowls. Add a few drops of pink or red food coloring to one of the bowls and mix it in to get a nice pink color.
- Then add roughly equal amounts of each color frosting on either side of a piping bag or syringe and pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, getting the pink swirl.
- Top with crushed candy canes.
*You can use any vegetable oil that you prefer but if you use coconut oil, make sure it is melted first.
*I used white vinegar, but apple cider vinegar would be fine too.
*Nutritional information includes frosting and crushed candy canes.
- Category: Dessert, Cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 49.4g
- Sodium: 247mg
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 65.1g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 2.5g
Keywords: vegan peppermint cupcakes