The smoothest creamiest vegan peppermint ice cream with crushed candy canes. Loaded with peppermint flavor and fabulous any time of year!
For the Cashew Milk:
- 1 cup (150g) Raw Cashews (soaked in hot water for 1 hour)
- 1 cup (240ml) + 2 Tbsp (30ml) Water (total = 270ml)
For the Ice Cream:
- At least the day before you want to make ice cream, make sure you place the bowl of your ice cream maker into the freezer to freeze.
- When you’re ready to make your ice cream the first thing to do is make the homemade cashew milk.
- Place the cashew nuts in a bowl and pour boiling water from the kettle over the top until they’re covered. Leave them to soak for one hour then drain and rinse.
- Add the soaked cashews to your blender along with the water and blend very well until you have a thick creamy milk, it’s more like a cream consistency than a milk consistency, this is perfect. You will use all of this in your ice cream, it may be a little more or a little less than 2 cups, this is not an issue.
- Add your homemade cashew milk and the coconut milk to a bowl and set aside.
- Then get all your other ingredients prepared as once you start, it will move quickly.
- Add the sugar and water to a pot or saucepan and heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is melted. You will know the sugar is melted when your wooden spoon is no longer making a scratching sound against the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the chopped cacao butter and coconut oil and salt and stir in until melted.
- Pour the melted sugar/cacao butter/coconut oil mix in with the cashew and coconut milk in the bowl and add the peppermint extract.
- Use an immersion blender to get everything properly mixed. If you don’t have an immersion blender then transfer the mix to a blender jug and blend and then return it to the mixing bowl.
- Place the mixing bowl into the freezer for about 15 minutes to chill. If the mix has hardened slightly along the sides of the mixing bowl after 15 minutes then just give it a stir.
- Pour the ice cream mix into your ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer instructions until you reach soft serve consistency. This could take anywhere from 25-45 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes of churning, when it has reached soft serve consistency but still soft enough to churn another 5 minutes, then add your crushed candy canes and let them churn with the ice cream for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the ice cream to a loaf pan and smooth down with the back of a spoon. Cover with foil and place into the freezer for at least 6 hours (or overnight) until properly set.
- Heat up an ice cream scoop by placing it in a cup of hot water and scoop your ice cream into bowls and serve.
*Coconut milk must be canned full fat coconut milk.
*Even though this is ice cream, it is still at its best within about a week after making it. It will still be good after that, but it’s at its best when fresh.
*Prep time does not include time spent chilling/setting.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free
- Method: Churn
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 10)
- Calories: 413
- Sugar: 32.5g
- Sodium: 250mg
- Fat: 26.1g
- Saturated Fat: 15.2g
- Carbohydrates: 42.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: vegan peppermint ice cream