This vegan pho is packed with flavor and a perfect blend of spices with shiitake mushrooms and tofu. This is comfort food in a bowl!
For the Charred Onion and Ginger:
- 1 Onion (Peeled and Halved)
- 3-inch piece of Fresh Ginger (Halved)
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
For the Spices:
- 4 Star Anise
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Cardamon Pods
- 1 Tbsp Whole Coriander Seeds
For the Broth:
- 8 cups (1920ml) Vegetable Stock/Broth
- 5 cups (250g) Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce*
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 16oz (450g) Firm Tofu (Cubed)
- 2 Heads Baby Bok Choy
For the Noodles:
- 8 oz (226g) Flat Rice Noodles (Dry Weight)
- 1 cup Fresh Cilantro
- 1 cup Basil Leaves
- 2 Fresh Limes (Quartered)
- 2 Fresh Chilis (Sliced)
- 1/2 cup Green Onions*
- Hoisin sauce*
- Prepare the charred onion and ginger: Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Rub the onion and ginger halves with the sesame oil and place them onto a parchment lined baking tray with the cut sides facing up.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until charred. You will use this in your broth.
- Prepare the spices. Add the star anise, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamon pods and whole coriander seeds into a spice infuser.
- Prepare the broth: Add the vegetable stock/broth to a pot along with the sliced shiitake mushrooms and the roasted onion and ginger. Add in the infuser containing the spices.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of simmering, remove the spice infuser and then remove the roasted onion and ginger from the broth.
- Add the coconut sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sea salt and stir them into the broth.
- Add the cubed tofu and baby bok choy and stir in. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Prepare the noodles: Cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions.
- Assemble the Pho: Ladle the broth over cooked rice noodles in a bowl.
- Add fresh herbs and garnishes as you like.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime.
*Use a gluten free soy sauce or switch for tamari if you’d like to keep this gluten-free.
*Green onions are also called salad onions or spring onions or scallions.
*Hoisin sauce is optional but can be quite tasty added in to your bowl. Serve it on the side.
- Category: Entree, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Vietnamese
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 322
- Sugar: 6.7g
- Sodium: 1540mg
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 53.4g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 14.9g
Keywords: vegan pho