Wanna make a vegan pie? Well you need a good vegan pie crust!
This one is so easy it’s ridiculous. And it uses coconut oil so if you’re living somewhere where it’s hard to get vegan butter then this is even better.
This recipe is so simple that I don’t even need to give you a bunch of tips and tricks to get it right, I’d say it’s pretty much foolproof!
A lot of pie crusts do cutesy little puckered folds at the top, which looks lovely, but sadly I am not up to the task. My clumsy fingers do not do the fine artsy stuff with the baking things. So I just made it straight up along the sides, which I thought looked fine and certainly did the job.
This recipe is just 5 ingredients and about 5-10 minutes and you have a lovely vegan pie crust to use as you please!
Usually you would leave the pie crust uncooked, so that you can prepare your filling, pour it in and then bake it all together. But if your recipe calls for a pre-cooked pie crust, then you can pre-cook this one as well.
To make this easy vegan pie crust, throw some four, salt and sugar into a food processor and pulse to combine.
Then add some coconut oil (solid, not melted) and pulse until the mixture is crumbly like you can see in the picture above.
Then add some ice water and process until it forms a dough. Remove the dough from the food processor, form it into a ball and transfer to a floured surface. Get out the old rolling pin and get to work rolling it out into a giant circle that is big enough to cover your pie dish.
Carefully lift it up being careful not to tear the dough and place it over your pie dish, tucking it in along the base. Then you simply trim off any excess dough hanging over the sides with a scissors.
Place your pie crust into the fridge while you make the rest of your pie, whatever that may be!
I used this pie crust for my super delicious vegan pumpkin pie and it was amazing!
It’s everything a pie crust should be, perfectly crisp and it holds its shape perfectly.
Any comments/questions, post them down below!
And if you haven’t already, subscribe to our mailing list and get a free ebook containing 10 fabulous high raw recipes!Print
Easy step-by-step tutorial for an easy vegan pie crust made with coconut oil instead of butter. 5-ingredients and 10 minutes to the perfect vegan pie crust.
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp (145g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) Coconut Oil (solid)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp Ice Water
- Place the flour, sugar and salt into the food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the coconut oil (must be solid, not melted) and pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add 3 Tbsp ice water and pulse to combine. It should look like a dough now and if you break off a piece and roll it in your hands it should easily roll into a ball. If it doesn’t then add the remaining Tbsp of ice water and pulse to combine once again.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and transfer to a floured surface.
- Roll the dough into a big round ball.
- Using a rolling pin roll it out from side to side into a a giant round that can fit over your pie dish.
- Carefully lift it up and place it over your pie dish, tucking it in along the sides of the pie dish to fit properly.
- Take a scissors and trim off any excess dough.
- Place your pie crust into the fridge while you prepare your pie filling.
- If you need to pre-cook your pie crust before adding your pie filling (only if the recipe specifies this), then you can do so by baking in the oven at 450°F (230°C) for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
*Recipe adapted from Food52.
- Serving Size: Entire Recipe
- Calories: 1022
- Sugar: 12.9g
- Sodium: 1181mg
- Fat: 51g
- Saturated Fat: 41.5g
- Carbohydrates: 123.1g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 15g