Gorgeously fruity vegan pineapple upside down cake. This single layer 9″ cake is moist and rich and topped with pineapple, cherries and caramelized brown sugar.
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup (56g) Vegan Butter (Melted)
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar
- 10–12 Pineapple Slices (Canned)
- 15–20 Maraschino Cherries
For the Cake:
- Spray a 9-inch cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Melt the vegan butter and then pour it out into the bottom of the cake pan and spread it around so it lines the bottom evenly.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter and spread it around evenly.
- Then layer the pineapple slices along the bottom. Cut some slices in half and use those to go up along the sides (see our photo).
- Place maraschino cherries everywhere you find a gap.
- Set the prepared cake pan aside while you prepare your cake batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the white sugar, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Then add in the soy milk, pineapple juice, vanilla, oil and vinegar and whisk together with a hand whisk until just combined.
- Pour out over the pineapple slices and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Place into the oven and bake for 55 minutes. Bring it out at the 30 minute mark and cover loosely with foil and return to the oven for another 25 minutes. The foil will prevent it from over-browning.
- It’s ready when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (don’t push it too far down or you’ll hit the base and then the toothpick won’t come out clean even if it is ready).
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before inverting it onto a plate or cake stand.
- To flip it, place a plate or cake stand against the cake pan and then flip it so that the cake pan is upside down on top of the plate or cake stand. Let it sit for a few seconds for the caramelized brown sugar to run down over the sides of the cake, and then lift the cake pan off.
- Slice and enjoy.
*Almond milk can be used instead of soy milk.
*You can use a different vegetable oil like canola if you prefer.
*Apple cider vinegar can be used instead of white vinegar.
- Category: Dessert, Baking
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 8)
- Calories: 441
- Sugar: 52.7g
- Sodium: 358mg
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 75.9g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 4.3g
Keywords: vegan pineapple upside down cake