Super easy vegan pot pie with a gorgeous golden brown crust. This cheesy, veggie-packed savory pie is perfect for a special occasion.
Cashew Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup (150g) Raw Cashews*
- 1/4 cup (15g) Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 7 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 5 cups (480g) Button Mushrooms (sliced)
- 8 Small Zucchinis (4 cups (600g), sliced)*
- 1 and 1/2 cups (240g) Frozen Peas
- 1 Sheet Vegan Puff Pastry
- Melted Vegan Butter (for brushing)
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Blend the cashew cheese sauce. Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Sauté the veggies. Add chopped onion and crushed garlic to the pot along with the olive oil and sauté until softened. Add the dried basil and soy sauce and stir in. Now add the sliced mushrooms, zucchini and peas and sauté together for a minute. Cover the pot and let the veggies simmer together for a few minutes. They will become saucy due to the mushrooms releasing their water. Remove the lid and let the water cook off until only a little remains (see notes*).
- Mix the sautéed veggies and cashew cheese sauce. Stir the cashew cheese sauce in with your veggies. Let it cool a bit and then transfer to a 9-inch round pie dish.
- Roll out the crust. Roll out your puff pastry so that it’s wider than your pie dish, with a little room to spare. Place the puff pastry over the top of your veggie filling and push the pastry into the sides of the dish, folding the pastry along the edges.
- Brush with melted vegan butter. Brush the top of the crust with melted vegan butter and cut a vertical line a couple of inches long, in the center of the pastry.
- Bake. Place the pie into the oven and bake for 25 minutes until golden on top.
*Cashews: We don’t usually soak the cashews first and if you have a high powered blender then there is no need to. If you don’t have a high powered blender, then add the cashews to a bowl, pour over boiling water from the kettle and let them soak for 15 minutes to soften before blending.
*Mushrooms: We used button mushrooms but cremini (portobellini/baby bellas) would also be great!
*Zucchinis: We used small zucchinis (see our ingredients photo for an idea of the size). An equivalent would be around 3 medium or 2 large.
*Nutritional yeast: This just adds a cheesiness to the cashew cheese sauce. If you can’t get hold of it then just leave it out.
*Puff pastry: We took the easy option in using puff pastry for this pie and it worked so well! It must be puff pastry though and not phyllo pastry.
*Vegan butter: This is melted and then brushed onto the crust before baking. We tried it with just brushing on soy milk and it didn’t work nearly so well so I highly recommend vegan butter. Any brand will do or a dairy-free margarine. Alternatively you can make your own homemade vegan butter.
*Pie dish. Your pie dish should be 9-inches round and at least 2-inches deep.
*Let as much water as possible cook off your veggies. It’s ideal for your filling to be nice and thick, so let as much water as possible cook off before you add the cashew cheese.
*Make ahead option: You can make the filling in advance and store it in the fridge for up to 48 hours. When you’re ready you can then assemble and bake the pie as usual.
*Storing: It’s at its best when fresh and hot from the oven. Leftovers are still good the next day though the pastry doesn’t retain its crispiness overnight. So it’s best to eat as much of it on the day it’s made as you can. It’s not ideal for freezing.
*This recipe was first published in December 2017. It has been updated with extra tips but the recipe itself is unchanged.
- Category: Entree, Savory
- Method: Stovetop and Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 8)
- Calories: 305
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 224mg
- Fat: 19.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrates: 24.9g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 9.8g
Keywords: vegan pot pie