If you love a good curry, then you’re going to love this vegan potato curry!
It’s so easy to make and totally delicious. Make up a huge pot of it because leftovers are even better (if that’s possible).
This vegan curry is a wonderful fragrant mix of spices with potatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, chickpeas, chopped tomatoes, coconut milk and vegetable stock.
Simmer it up in a big pot until the potatoes are tender and then serve it topped with some chopped cilantro.
It’s wonderful served as is, or with basmati rice or vegan naan (or both!).
If you wanted to make this vegan potato curry even richer, you could use coconut cream rather than coconut milk, but I found coconut milk to be rich enough. Definitely use a full fat version of coconut milk though.
You could substitute a light version but I wouldn’t recommend it. This is a curry that really works best when it’s deliciously rich.
I used more oil than I usually do. When making soups or curries, especially those that use coconut milk, I usually tend to put in 1 tablespoon of oil when sautéeing the onions and garlic and spices, but in this case I used 3 tablespoons.
This comes back to creating a richer flavor and is inspired by dishes like aloo gobi, a potato and cauliflower curry (we have a recipe for this in our ebook!) that tend to use a bit more oil. This isn’t a low fat or low oil version, though the result is definitely not too rich, it’s perfect.
However, if you want to make this a little lower in fat, then along with using a light coconut milk you could reduce the oil or replace it with water when sautéeing the onions. Again, I wouldn’t recommend it, as it wouldn’t be as delicious, but you definitely could do it if you wanted a lower fat option.
I used garam masala powder for this recipe, but you can substitute regular curry powder if that’s what you have on hand. You can definitely make this recipe spicier than I did, I used 4 tsp of garam masala, which creates a very mild but delicious flavor. If you like your curries more on the spicy side then you can use more or bump up the cayenne pepper!
You will love this vegan potato curry, it is:
- Mildly spicy
Leftovers keep very well in the fridge and can be reheated the next day. If anything the flavors get even better the next day!
So tell us what you think of this vegan potato curry in the comments! Please rate the recipe too. Thank you!
For more delicious vegan dinners, check out these great recipes:
- Vegan Chili
- Thai Red Curry with Green Beans and Tofu
- Creamy Vegan Massaman Curry
- Creamy Coconut Red Lentil Dal
- Vegan Pad Thai
- Easy Thai Pumpkin Curry
Sign up to our email list while you’re here, you’ll get an awesome free 10-recipe ebook and you’ll stay updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog.Print
Rich and fragrant vegan potato curry that is absolutely delicious served as is or over rice or with some vegan naan. Super simple recipe with mouthwatering results. Gluten-Free.
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- 4 tsp Garam Masala (or Curry Powder)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 6 Medium Potatoes (Peeled and Chopped, about 1kg/2.2lb)
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Chickpeas (Drained)
- 1 14oz (400g) Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 cup (240ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Milk (Full Fat)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar (or Brown Sugar)
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper (To Taste)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro (Chopped, For Serving)
- Add the olive oil to a pot with the chopped onion, crushed garlic, minced ginger, garam masala, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander powder and turmeric and sauté until the onions are slightly softened.
- Add the chopped potatoes and chickpeas and toss in the spices until well mixed.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and coconut milk and stir in.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat, cover the pot and simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Test if they’re ready by bringing out a piece of potato and sticking a fork into it to test if it’s fork tender.
- Add coconut sugar, sea salt and black pepper (to taste).
- Serve with chopped cilantro on top and with basmati rice and/or vegan naan bread.
*Leftovers are delicious reheated the next day, so don’t worry if this is a bigger amount than you need for one meal, it’s even more delicious the next day!
*Nutritional information is for the curry only and does not include rice or naan bread.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 445
- Sugar: 13.6g
- Sodium: 334mg
- Fat: 20.2g
- Saturated Fat: 10.5g
- Carbohydrates: 58.3g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Protein: 8.9g
Keywords: vegan potato curry