Vegan pound cake with an almond glaze. Moist, rich and dense (but not heavy) this pound cake is super simple and absolutely delicious.
For the Vegan Pound Cake:
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 1 cup (200g) White Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Vegan Buttermilk (1 Tbsp lemon juice + soy milk up to the 1 cup line, see instructions)
For the Almond Glaze Topping:
- 1 cup (120g) Powdered Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- A few drops Almond Extract*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Add the vegan butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and cream them together. Add the vanilla extract and mix in.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the baking powder and salt and mix together and then add into the bowl with the vegan butter and sugar.
- Make your vegan buttermilk by adding 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice to a measuring jug and then pouring in soy milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line and then stirring in so it curdles. You can also use almond milk if you prefer. Add to the other ingredients.
- Mix into a batter with a spoon. The batter will be thick. Mix in properly but be careful not to overmix.
- Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray and then line it with parchment paper. The best way to do this is to let the parchment paper hang over the sides so that when your cake is done you can just lift it out.
- Transfer your cake batter to the loaf pan and smooth it down.
- Place into the oven to bake for 60 minutes.
- At the 40 minute mark, bring out the cake and add foil to the top in a tent shape. So let the top be quite high (in a tent shape) so that it doesn’t press down on the cake from the top. Put the cake back in for the last 20 minutes.
- It’s ready when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Lift the cake out with the parchment paper and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare the almond glaze by adding the powdered sugar, soy milk and almond extract to a bowl and mixing in until smooth. I didn’t use the electric mixer for this, I found it was easy to mix up in a bowl.
- Spoon this out over the top of the cooled pound cake and smooth it down. It will likely run down the sides, this is fine.
- Top the cake with some almond flakes or slivers and place into the fridge for a little while so that the frosting can set.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
*Almond extract is quite strong tasting so I usually just put a tiny bit on the edge of a spoon and then let a few drops fall into the bowl.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 31.9g
- Sodium: 364mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 52.6g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 3.4g
Keywords: vegan pound cake