Moist and deliciously spiced vegan pumpkin bread topped with pumpkin seeds and packed with fall flavors! Perfectly sweet and wonderfully simple.
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups (337g) Pumpkin Purée (canned or fresh)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Flax Egg
- Small Handful (1/2oz/14g) Pumpkin Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the white and brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and salt and mix together.
- Prepare your flax egg by adding 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal to a bowl and then adding in 3 Tbsp of hot water from the kettle, leave to sit for a minute or so to become gloopy.
- Add in the pumpkin purée, olive oil, vanilla and flax egg and mix in. The batter will be very thick, but have patience and mix in carefully and it will combine properly. Mix until just combined and don’t overmix.
- Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray and then line it with parchment paper so that the parchment paper hangs over the sides, so that when the pumpkin bread is baked, you can easily lift it out of the loaf pan using the parchment paper.
- Transfer the batter from the mixing bowl to the loaf pan and smooth down evenly.
- Sprinkle a handful of pumpkin seeds over the top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If it shows any signs of over-browning then tent it with foil* at the 40 minute mark and return to the oven for the remaining 20 minutes.
- Lift the pumpkin bread out with the parchment paper and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool before slicing.
*I used extra virgin olive oil, but you can use a different oil if you prefer. If using coconut oil then make sure it is melted first.
*Canned pumpkin purée is the easiest pumpkin to use, but if you can’t get canned pumpkin purée you can make it yourself – put peeled and cubed pumpkin in the oven on a parchment lined baking tray, as is, don’t add any spices or oils, and bake for 30 minutes at 350°F (180°C). Let it cool and then purée it in the food processor. Let it stand in a sieve over a bowl to let any excess water drip off.
*Tenting with foil just means to put foil loosely over the top in a ‘tent’ shape so that it doesn’t press down on the bread from the top.
- Category: Dessert, Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Large Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 243
- Sugar: 21.2g
- Sodium: 269mg
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 42.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3.4g
Keywords: vegan pumpkin bread