This vegan pumpkin soup ticks all the boxes! Its rich, creamy and ultimately satisfying.
And best of all, it’s super easy, and ready in 30 minutes or less!
Well, I must clarify, it’s ready in that short a time provided you bought your pumpkin already peeled and chopped. I have to say I took the lazy way forward (or is it the clever way?) with that!
Peeling and chopping pumpkin is something I find just a little bit too hard. I can barely handle a butternut squash, a pumpkin is out of my veg-chopping league.
I used coconut cream rather than coconut milk, I wanted it to be ultimately creamy and it definitely worked!
I actually couldn’t believe how fast the pumpkin cooked. I do have a gas stove now, and we all know that gas is super fast, but still.
I brought it to the boil, covered the pot and sat down for a brief 10-minutes not imagining that it could be faster than that, and when I got up to check it, it was completely soft. It doesn’t matter with soup, it’s just going to get blended anyway, but honestly it was likely cooked in like 8 minutes or something and the last 2 was overkill.
Anyway so don’t just walk away and leave it, keep checking as it cooks super fast.
Serve the soup topped with some pumpkin seeds and a sprinkle of thyme and black pepper.
And of course, some crusty rolls for dipping, or if you’re gluten-free (the soup is already gluten-free) then use gluten-free bread or some large lettuce leaves for dipping.
I definitely think you are going to love this vegan pumpkin soup, it is:
- Thick and creamy
- Rich and satisfying
- Ready in 30-minutes
This soup easily serves 4. However, in my house, Jaye loved it so much, he polished off 3 serves all by himself. And then he was like: ‘I’m soooo full!’ And I’m thinking: ‘what did you expect from 3-serves of soup, with 3 crusty rolls!’
So what do you think of this beautiful vegan pumpkin soup? Let us know in the comments and please rate the recipe too.
For more awesome vegan soups, check out these great recipes:
- Spicy Vegan Carrot Soup
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
There’s loads more! Just type ‘soup’ into the search bar and you’ll see all the great soups we’ve made!
And why not sign up to our email list, you’ll get an awesome free recipe ebook, plus you’ll stay updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog!
Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil or other oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Ginger minced or finely chopped
- 1 tsp Thyme
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 9 cups Pumpkin (2.2lb/1kg) peeled and cubed
- 14 ounce Can Coconut Cream (400ml), Unsweetened
- 1 and ½ cups Vegetable Stock/Broth (360ml)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add the coconut oil to a pot with the chopped onion, garlic and ginger and sauté.
- Then add the thyme and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in the coconut cream and vegetable stock and the pumpkin and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until the pumpkin is soft and cooked (around 10 minutes).
- Use an immersion blender to blend it smooth inside the pot. If you haven't got an immersion blender, then transfer to a blender jug in stages and blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some pumpkin seeds as garnish (optional).
- The prep time mentioned above assumes you have ready peeled and cubed pumpkin. If you have to do that from scratch, it will of course take longer.
- I used coconut cream in this as I wanted a richer soup, but canned, full fat, unsweetened coconut milk would also work well.