This vegan pumpkin soup ticks all the boxes! Its rich, creamy and ultimately satisfying.
And best of all, it’s super easy, and ready in 30 minutes or less!
Well, I must clarify, it’s ready in that short a time provided you bought your pumpkin already peeled and chopped. I have to say I took the lazy way forward (or is it the clever way?) with that!
Peeling and chopping pumpkin is something I find just a little bit too hard. I can barely handle a butternut squash, a pumpkin is out of my veg-chopping league.
I used coconut cream rather than coconut milk, I wanted it to be ultimately creamy and it definitely worked!
I actually couldn’t believe how fast the pumpkin cooked. I do have a gas stove now, and we all know that gas is super fast, but still.
I brought it to the boil, covered the pot and sat down for a brief 10-minutes not imagining that it could be faster than that, and when I got up to check it, it was completely soft. It doesn’t matter with soup, it’s just going to get blended anyway, but honestly it was likely cooked in like 8 minutes or something and the last 2 was overkill.
Anyway so don’t just walk away and leave it, keep checking as it cooks super fast.
Serve the soup topped with some pumpkin seeds and a sprinkle of thyme and black pepper.
And of course, some crusty rolls for dipping, or if you’re gluten-free (the soup is already gluten-free) then use gluten-free bread or some large lettuce leaves for dipping.
I definitely think you are going to love this vegan pumpkin soup, it is:
- Thick and creamy
- Rich and satisfying
- Ready in 30-minutes
This soup easily serves 4. However, in my house, Jaye loved it so much, he polished off 3 serves all by himself. And then he was like: I’m soooo full! And I’m thinking: ‘what did you expect from 3-serves of soup, with 3 crusty rolls!’
So what do you think of this beautiful vegan pumpkin soup? Let us know in the comments. And when you make it, please rate the recipe and let us know how it worked out for you!
Tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram if you take any pics, we looooove to see what you’ve got cooking up!
For more awesome vegan soups, check out these great recipes:
- Spicy Vegan Carrot Soup
- Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
- Vegetable and Pinto Bean Soup
- Roasted Butternut Green Curry Soup
There’s loads more! Just type ‘soup’ into the search bar and you’ll see all the great soups we’ve made!
And why not sign up to our email list, you’ll get an awesome free recipe ebook, plus you’ll stay updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog!Print
Super creamy vegan pumpkin soup. This rich and satisfying soup is made with coconut cream and spices for a simply delicious appetizer. Ready in 30-minutes!
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp Ginger (minced or finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2.2 pounds (1kg) Pumpkin (peeled and cubed)
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Vegetable Stock/Broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add the coconut oil to a pot with the chopped onion, garlic and ginger and sauté.
- Then add the thyme and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in the pumpkin and toss together with the onions and spices.
- Add in the coconut cream and the vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until the pumpkin is soft and cooked (around 10 minutes).
- Use an immersion blender to blend it smooth inside the pot. If you haven’t got an immersion blender, then transfer to a blender jug in stages and blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some pumpkin seeds as garnish (optional).
*The prep time mentioned above assumes you have ready peeled and cubed pumpkin. If you have to do that from scratch, it will of course take longer.
*I used coconut cream in this as I wanted a richer soup, but coconut milk would also work well for this.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 317
- Sugar: 10.4g
- Sodium: 360mg
- Fat: 24.9g
- Saturated Fat: 20.4g
- Carbohydrates: 23.6g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Protein: 4.5g