The best vegan quesadillas stuffed with black beans and corn, guacamole and vegan cheese. Filling, hearty, cheesy and so easy to make.
These vegan quesadillas are my new favorite thing. They taste as good as they look and they are amazingly filling.
They are stuffed with a hearty black bean and corn mix followed by guacamole and vegan cheese.
Now, avocado is not something I would normally heat. Like if I have avocado on a vegan pizza, then you can bet I put it on after the pizza has cooked.
But in the case of a vegan quesadilla, this isn’t an issue because everything on the inside of the quesadilla just gets nicely warmed, not cooked. The vegan cheese gets a little melty which helps to close the quesadilla nicely and seal everything in, but really it’s just the outside of the tortilla that’s cooking, everything else is just nicely warmed and melty.
How To Make Vegan Quesadillas
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
The black bean and corn mix is super easy to make, and really so delicious you will likely want to use it for all sorts of other things.
It’s just a case of frying up a little onion and crushed garlic with some spices in olive oil, then add canned black beans and sweet corn and fry it up until nicely warmed, add salt and pepper to taste and there you have it – delicious black bean and corn mix!
Make up your guacamole which is super simple, just a couple of avocados mashed up, squeeze half a fresh lime, and add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Grate some vegan cheese and now you’re ready to go.
Heat a frying pan (no oil required) and then add a tortilla, let it get nice and toasty and a little browned, then flip it.
Add some black bean and corn mix to one side, some guacamole on top of that, and finish with a little vegan cheese.
Then fold your tortilla and pat it down with your spatula so that it sticks a little.
Let it cook for around 2 minutes and then flip it and let it cook on the other side until both sides are nicely browned and toasty.
Your vegan quesadilla is ready to serve.
Cooking time. I have to admit, since there are 8 tortillas, cooking them can get a little tedious. At a few minutes per tortilla, you’re doing the cooking part for at least 30 minutes and it’s very hands on. I have seen some people cook two per pan, but to me the logistics of that were a little too complex. But if you’re up to the task then you can get it done in half the time. Or just put some music on, have a glass of wine and get zen with it.
Gluten free. To make them gluten free simply use gluten free tortillas.
Dinner or breakfast. I think this is a perfect dinner meal but to me it also fits pretty well as breakfast food. Is anyone with me? Breakfast or dinner? I think it fits well for either.
Make Ahead and Storing
Make ahead: You can make the black bean and corn mix ahead of time and keep that in the fridge along with the grated cheese to save time for when you want to assemble them. Then you’ll just need to make the guacamole and assemble and cook your quesadillas.
Storing: They are best served right away, warm and delicious. However, leftovers will keep for a day in the fridge and can be reheated in a hot pan.
More Delicious Vegan Mexican Inspired Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
For the Black Bean and Corn Mix:
For the Guacamole:
- 2 Medium Avocados
- ½ Small Fresh Lime Squeezed
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper To Taste
- 1 ¼ cups Grated Vegan Cheese
- 8 Tortillas Wheat or Corn
- Prepare your black bean and corn mix. Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic to a frying pan with the olive oil. Add the cayenne pepper and cumin and sauté until the onions are softened. Add in the black beans and corn and sauté until warmed and well mixed with the spices. Add in sea salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Prepare your guacamole. Mash the avocados, squeeze in the lime juice and add sea salt and black pepper to taste. Set side.
- Grate the vegan cheese and set aside.
- Heat up a frying pan (dry, no oil) and then add 1 tortilla to the pan. Let it toast a little on one side until very slightly browned, and then flip it. Add some black bean and corn mix to one side of the tortilla, topped with some guacamole and then some vegan cheese. Fold the tortilla over to close it. Pat down with your spatula so that the top sticks. Cook for a couple of minutes before flipping and cooking for a couple of minutes on the other side so that both sides are nicely browned and toasted.
- Remove from the pan and repeat with the next tortilla until all 8 tortillas are finished.
- Cut each quesadilla in half (or even into quarters if you prefer) and serve.
- Gluten free. To make them gluten free simply use gluten free tortillas.
- Make ahead: You can make the black bean and corn mix ahead of time and keep that in the fridge along with the grated cheese to save time for when you want to assemble them. Then you’ll just need to make the guacamole and assemble and cook your quesadillas.
- Storing: They are best served right away, warm and delicious. However, leftovers will keep for a day in the fridge and can be reheated in a hot pan.