Gloriously light and fluffy vegan red velvet cupcakes with red velvet frosting. Perfectly spongey and moist, vibrantly red, and fabulously vegan.
For the Red Velvet Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) + 3 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour*
- 1 cup (200g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- 1 cup (240ml) Vegan Homemade Buttermilk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal + 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar*
- 3 Tbsp Vegan Red Food Dye
For the Red Velvet Frosting:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- Prepare the buttermilk by adding 1 Tbsp lemon juice into a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line and allowing to sit for a minute to curdle into buttermilk.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp of ground flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add the cup of buttermilk, the vanilla extract, flax egg, olive oil, vinegar and red food dye to the mixing bowl and whisk with a hand whisk to combine into a smooth batter.
- Line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Add all frosting ingredients to your mixing bowl and whisk with an electric whisk starting on slow and gradually increasing speed until thick, smooth and creamy. If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar, if it’s too thick, add a little more soy milk.
- Frost on top of your completely cooled cupcakes and serve.
*Weigh your flour for the most accurate results.
*You can use a different vegetable oil such as canola oil if you prefer.
*You can use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.
*Nutritional information is for 1 cupcake including a generous amount of red velvet frosting.
*Recipe adapted from my Red Velvet Cake.
- Category: Dessert, Baking
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 365
- Sugar: 47.9g
- Sodium: 255mg
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 66.9g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 3.2g
Keywords: vegan red velvet cupcakes