Fabulously crispy vegan rice krispie treats made with vegan marshmallows! Perfectly sweet and simple 4-ingredient recipe. Ready in 10 minutes!
So I’ve made some vegan rice krispie treats before, our vegan chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats (yip, thats a loooong name)!
But when I made those I couldn’t get my hands on any vegan marshmallows.
So they’re made using an alternate – and super great – method, but using marshmallows for rice krispie treats is the way rice krispie treats are usually made.
So I always had it in my mind that when I got my hands on some vegan marshmallows I was going to make some more of these treaty treats!
So when I did manage to get hold of some vegan marshmallows I sort of went wild and bought like 15 bags of them! Only to forget about them and have them sit in the cupboard for months.
So imagine my horror when I remembered: oh yes, I wanted to make rice krispie treats and went happily skipping over to my marshmallow cupboard to find that a disaster had occurred (maybe when the marshmallows were delivered to me?). Moisture had got into some of the bags and I had to throw out like 13 bags of them.
I was left with JUST enough to make one batch of these babies! So I could not afford to get this wrong. I proceeded to watch around 2000 youtube videos of people making them, because I had just one shot to get these right.
And yes, what you are seeing below is not your eyes deceiving you, the only marshmallows that survived were marshmallow worms and fishes.
So my ‘process photos’ might be a little different to what you’re used to seeing!
Nevermind, the shapes (and colors) of the marshmallows don’t matter, what matters is that these vegan rice krispie treats were a massive success. Whew!
This dessert comes together FAST. That’s another reason I don’t have all that many process photos to show you. It was just too quick, and since I only had one shot at this, I was super scared to delay any of the steps to get photos.
The only sweetness comes from the marshmallows so this is not an overly sweet dessert. It’s perfectly sweet, but even for people who are not that much of a sweet tooth, this should please the palate! And if you like a bit of crunch, then oh my, this is totally your dessert.
How To Make Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
You start off by melting some vegan butter, then you add the marshmallows and stir, stir, stir. They start melting immediately.
Keep stirring until the marshmallows have melted completely, then add some vanilla and stir in. Remove from the heat. Add a heap of rice krispies, stir them in until they’re all coated with the melted marshmallow mix and then transfer to a quarter sheet pan (mine is a 9×13) that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
Take a sheet of parchment paper and put it on top of the rice krispies and use your hands to smooth and flatten it down and spread it into the corners of the sheet pan. The parchment paper is perfectly non-stick so your hands are protected from sticking to the rice krispies and it’s super easy to press down on it and smooth it down perfectly.
I have seen some people butter their hands and use their hands directly (the rice krispies are super sticky) but the parchment paper method worked sooo well that I highly recommend you do it that way.
Pink is perfect!
It was also a bit of a mystery what color I was going to end up with, because as you can see I had multiple colors of marshmallow going on there!
And during my massive foray into the world of youtube videos demonstrating rice krispie treats I only ever saw white marshmallows or pink and white marshmallows, never a total mixed bag of colors.
Luckily, pink won out and was the dominant color, rather than it turning into some weird in-between color or streaky mix, so that was quite pleasing.
How To Store Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
Keep them stored in a sealed container in the fridge and enjoy within 3 days.
More delicious vegan desserts?
- Chocolate Mint Crunch Cups
- Vegan Peanut Butter Bars
- Shortbread and Raisin Chocolate Tiffin
- Vegan Peppermint Patties
- Sea Salt Chocolate Peanut Clusters
- Vegan Crunch Bars
Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
- ¼ cup Vegan Butter (56g)
- 10.5 ounces Vegan Marshmallows (300g)
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies (210g)
- Spray a 9x13 quarter sheet baking tray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pot and then add the marshmallows.
- Stir vigorously until the marshmallows are completely melted and then add the vanilla.
- Remove from heat and add in the rice krispies and stir until coated with the marshmallow mix.
- Transfer to the prepared quarter sheet pan. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the top and use your hands to press it down and spread the rice krispies into the corners of the sheet pan and flatten it along the top.
- Remove the parchment paper and place the tray into the fridge for a few minutes to set.
- Cut into squares.
- Keep the rice krispie treats in the fridge in an airtight container and enjoy within 3 days.
- You don't have to use the name brand 'Rice Krispies' for this recipe, it's just the name of the dessert. You can use any brand of puffed rice cereal. Apparently in some countries the name brand Rice Krispies may not be vegan because of how the added Vitamin D is sourced, so just check for vegan friendliness or use a different brand of puffed rice cereal.
- The name brand Rice Krispies are also not gluten-free, so if you need this recipe to be gluten-free you can use a different puffed rice cereal that is gluten-free.