These vegan rice krispie treats are the best ever. Made with vegan marshmallows for the perfect crispy, chewy and gooey classic treat.
So I’ve made some vegan rice krispie treats before, our vegan peanut butter rice krispie treats.
And they were divine. But when I made those I couldn’t get my hands on any vegan marshmallows. So they’re made using an alternate – and super great – method, but using marshmallows for rice krispie treats is the way rice krispie treats are usually made.
So I always had it in my mind that when I got my hands on some vegan marshmallows I was going to make some more of these treaty treats!
When I DID manage to get my hands on some vegan marshmallows I just couldn’t wait to make these and I was so happy when they were a massive success.
This is a super quick and easy dessert. They can be adjusted to be extra crispy or extra ooey gooey! The only sweetness comes from the marshmallows so they are not super sweet making this the perfect dessert for those who are not the biggest sweet tooth.
How To Make Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Melt vegan butter in a heavy bottomed pot on medium low heat and then add the marshmallows.
- Stir continuously until the marshmallows have melted into a gooey mass (they don’t melt as well as regular marshmallows but they do melt!) and then add the vanilla extract.
- Remove from the heat and add the rice krispies and stir until all the rice krispies are coated with the marshmallow mix.
- Transfer the mix to your prepared 9×13 sheet pan (sprayed with non-stick spray).
- Take a sheet of parchment paper and put it on top of the rice krispies and use your hands to smooth and flatten it down and spread it into the corners of the sheet pan.
- The parchment paper is already perfectly non-stick so your hands are protected from sticking to the rice krispies and it’s super easy to press down on it and smooth it down perfectly.
- Remove the parchment paper and place the tray into the fridge to set.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Medium low heat. Don’t turn the heat too high, it’s better to melt the marshmallows slowly.
- Heavy bottomed pot. This helps prevent the marshmallow mix from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning.
- Ooey gooey or crispy. If you like them ooey gooey then use less rice krispies. If you prefer them super crispy then use more rice krispies.
Keep them stored in a sealed container in the fridge and enjoy within 3 days. They do not freeze well.
More Delicious Vegan Desserts
- Vegan Peanut Butter Bars
- Vegan Tiffin
- Vegan Peppermint Patties
- Vegan Peanut Clusters
- Vegan Crunch Bars
- Chocolate Mint Crunch Cups
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
- ⅓ cup Vegan Butter (75g)
- 10 ounces Vegan Marshmallows (280g)
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4-5 cups Rice Krispies
- Spray a 9×13 baking tray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Melt the vegan butter in a heavy bottomed pot on medium/low heat and then add the marshmallows.
- Stir continuously until the marshmallows have melted into a gooey mix and then add the vanilla extract.
- Remove from heat, add the rice krispies and stir until they're completely coated with the marshmallow mix.
- Transfer to the prepared 9×13 pan. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the top and use your hands to press down from the top to flatten it and spread it into the corners of the dish.
- Remove the parchment paper and place them into the fridge to set.
- When set, cut into squares and enjoy.
- Extra crispy or ooey gooey. If you prefer your rice krispie treats to be ooey gooey then use 4 cups rice krispies. If you prefer them ultra crispy (like me) then use 5 cups.
- Rice Krispies – you don’t have to use the name brand ‘Rice Krispies’ for this recipe, it’s just the name of the dessert. You can use any brand of puffed rice cereal.
- Gluten free – the name brand Rice Krispies are not certified gluten-free, so if you need this recipe to be certified gluten-free you can use a gluten free puffed rice cereal brand.
- Storing: Keep the rice krispie treats in the fridge in an airtight container and enjoy within 3 days.