Creamy vegan rice pudding that tastes like a delicious custard! Divine served with a sprinkle of cinnamon either hot or cold.
- 3/4 cup (150g) Basmati Rice (Dry Weight)
- 4 14oz (400ml) Cans Coconut Milk (Total 1600ml)*
- 1 cup (240ml) Water
- 1/4 cup (50g) White Sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp (30g) Vegan Butter
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon
- Add the basmati rice, coconut milk, water, white sugar, brown sugar and salt to a large pot and bring to the boil stirring regularly.
- Turn the heat right down so that it is on a slow simmer, cover the pot and let it cook for around 50 mins, stirring at regular intervals, until it is the consistency of a thick, creamy custard.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and vegan butter and serve either hot or cold with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
*It’s very important that you use a large pot, so that it doesn’t boil over. Keep the heat very low once you reach the slow simmer point.
*I used full fat coconut milk from the can, but if you wanted to switch for a light coconut milk that would be fine.
*Keep leftovers stored in the fridge (covered) for up to 1 week.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 cup (of 6)
- Calories: 645
- Sugar: 20.9g
- Sodium: 297mg
- Fat: 42.9g
- Saturated Fat: 38.6g
- Carbohydrates: 40.8g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.1g
Keywords: vegan rice pudding