Creamy and ultimately delicious vegan scalloped potatoes. These are the perfect side dish for a special occasion. A simple recipe with spectacular results! Gluten-Free.
For the Sauce:
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Coconut Milk
- 1 cup (150g) Raw Cashews
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup (30g) Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
For the Potato and Onions:
- 6–7 Medium Potatoes (3lb/1.4kg peeled weight)
- 1 Onion (thinly sliced)
- Chopped Chives
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to the blender jug and blend until very smooth. Set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and weigh them to get the peeled weight. Slice them finely using either a mandolin slicer or by hand, aiming to slice them thinly and evenly.
- Slice the onion finely.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Layer half the potatoes in a 9×13 oven safe dish* and then add all the onion in a layer on top of the potatoes.
- Pour over half of the sauce (~500ml). Then layer the rest of the potatoes over the top. Pour over the remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil and place into the oven to bake for 75 minutes.
- After 75 minutes remove the foil and return to the oven to bake for a further 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.
*It’s not essential that you weigh the potatoes, you can also eyeball it and have it be a little more or less, but the ideal ratio of potatoes to sauce is going to result in the best ‘look’ for this dish. But no matter what, it’s going to taste great!
*Spray your baking dish with non-stick spray if you think there is any chance of it sticking. The dish I use never sticks so I didn’t use it, but you may need to.
- Category: Side, Gluten-Free, Savory
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
- Calories: 428
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 378mg
- Fat: 25.9g
- Saturated Fat: 15.6g
- Carbohydrates: 41.3g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 9.6g
Keywords: vegan scalloped potatoes