These vegan snickers bars are rich and decadent and taste just like the ‘real thing’! They’re also super easy and fun to make.
For the Nougat:
- 2/3 cup (64g) Rolled Oats*, processed into flour.
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Coconut Oil
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
For the Caramel:
For the Peanuts:
- 2/3 cup (3.5 oz /100g) Roasted Salted Peanuts
For the Chocolate:
- 2 cups (350g) Vegan Chocolate (Chopped)*
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- Place the rolled oats into a food processor and process until mostly powdery. Add the coconut oil and maple syrup and sea salt and process together into a paste.
- Pour out into a parchment lined loaf pan and smooth down. Place into the freezer to set.
- Melt the coconut butter by placing the whole jar into a bowl of hot water and then stir it very well until well mixed. Measure out 1/2 cup and pour it into a mixing bowl. Add in the maple syrup and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Pour the caramel out on top of the set nougat layer and smooth down. Then add the peanuts and gently press down with a spoon to press them into the caramel. Place into the freezer to set.
- When set, lift it all out with the parchment paper and cut into 6 even bars.
- Melt the chocolate by placing it into a microwave safe bowl along with the coconut oil and microwaving it in 30 second intervals, bringing it out to stir every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Dunk each bar into the chocolate, flipping it over to coat both sides and then placing it onto a parchment lined baking tray. Repeat for all the bars. Place into the fridge to set. Once set, drizzle any remaining chocolate over the top of the bars to create a nice pattern and then return to the fridge again to set.
- Keep the bars stored in the fridge.
*This must be coconut butter. It must say butter on the jar. It will not work to use coconut oil for the caramel, it has to be coconut butter. It’s also crucial that you melt the whole jar of coconut butter (by placing the whole sealed jar into a bowl of hot water) and then stir it up very well so that it’s evenly mixed before you use it. You can also make your own homemade coconut butter and use it in this recipe.
*I prefer to use a high quality vegan chocolate to melt down for this. However, chocolate chips will also work fine.
*For a gluten-free version make sure your rolled oats are gluten-free.
*Prep time does not include time spent setting in the fridge/freezer.
*Nougat recipe adapted from Oatmeal With A Fork.
*This recipe was first published in October 2017. Now updated with clearer instructions and recipe tips.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/2 Bar
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 16.1g
- Sodium: 92mg
- Fat: 27.4g
- Saturated Fat: 17.6g
- Carbohydrates: 24.8g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Protein: 6.4g
Keywords: vegan snickers