This vegan soda bread is soft and delicious and one of the easiest breads you’ll ever make. There is no kneading or yeast required, and it’s ready in 45 minutes!
- 3 and 1/2 cups (437g) All Purpose Flour*
- 3 Tbsp White Granulated Sugar*
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp (30g) Vegan Butter (Cold)
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Vegan Buttermilk (Lemon Juice + Soy Milk)*
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Add all purpose flour, white granulated sugar, baking soda and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk together until mixed.
- Add vegan butter and mix it into the flour with your fingers until crumbly.
- Prepare your vegan buttermilk by adding 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice to a measuring jug and adding soy milk up to the 1 and 1/2 cup (360ml) line. Leave it for a minute to curdle into buttermilk.
- Add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and mix in with a spoon until it starts sticking together and forming into a shaggy dough.
- Flour a surface and your hands and pour the shaggy dough and any flour bits that didn’t incorporate properly onto your floured surface and use your hands to form the dough into a ball.
- Gradually flatten the dough into a flat round disc shape. If it’s still a little shaggy that’s fine. It’s important that in this process of shaping the dough you only knead it a maximum of 8-10 times.
- Place the flat round disc of dough onto a parchment lined baking tray. Take a sharp knife and cut a deep X into the top of the dough.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown.
*Use the right amount of flour. If you’re measuring with cups then the best method is to use the spoon and level method. Spoon the flour into your measuring cup and then level off the top with a knife. Don’t scoop the flour or pack it into the cup. If you have a food scale then simply weigh your flour for the most accurate results.
*White granulated sugar – can be omitted if you prefer. It’s just to create a really good balance of flavors and doesn’t taste sweet at all. Nonetheless if you’re eating sugar free you can omit it.
*Vegan buttermilk – you can also use almond milk to make the vegan buttermilk.
*Don’t knead it too much. If you knead your dough too much it will make the bread tough. You want to knead it a maximum of 8-10 times in the process of forming your dough into a disc shape before baking.
*Storing and Freezing. Keep the bread in a covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days. It’s best on the day of baking, but makes good toast on days 2 and 3. It is also freezer friendly for up to 3 months. You can freeze the whole loaf or the individual slices. Let the bread cool completely before freezing and then freeze it on the day of baking to lock in freshness.
- Category: Side, Savory, How To
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, Irish
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 12)
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Sodium: 452mg
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 4.7g
Keywords: vegan soda bread, irish soda bread, no knead bread, yeast free bread