This vegan spinach artichoke dip is the best ever. It’s creamy, cheesy, baked, and so simple to make. Great for a party or game day appetizer.
For the Cream Cheese:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (225g) Raw Cashews (soaked in hot water for 1 hour and then drained)*
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Coconut Cream (Canned)
- 1 tsp Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 cup (120g) Vegan Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup (45g) Nutritional Yeast
For the Spinach and Artichokes:
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 7 ounces (200g) Marinated Artichokes*
- 4 Packed Cups (160g) Baby Spinach*
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Add the soaked cashews, lemon juice, coconut cream, white vinegar, salt, onion powder, vegan mayonnaise and nutritional yeast to the blender and blend until smooth. Then leave it in the blender for the moment and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a pan along with the chopped onion, crushed garlic and rosemary and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Then remove half the onions from the frying pan and place them into the blender jug along with the cream cheese mixture and blend again. Leave it in the blender again and set aside.
- Add the marinated artichokes to the frying pan with the remaining onions and sauté, letting the artichokes break up as you fry them with the onions. When the artichokes are softened then add in all the spinach and fry it with the artichokes and onions until wilted.
- Transfer the spinach and artichoke mix to an oven safe 9-inch round dish.
- Pour over the cream cheese from the blender and fold it in with the spinach and artichokes.
- Place into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned on top.
- Serve with salted crackers, tortilla chips, breads or anything that’s great for dipping.
*Raw Cashews: Measure or weigh the cashews before soaking for the most accurate results. Then place them into a bowl and pour over boiling water from the kettle and leave to soak for an hour. If you have a cashew allergy you can try this dip with slivered or blanched almonds (soak them the same as you would the cashews). The texture won’t be as smooth – almonds lend themselves more to a ricotta texture than a cream cheese texture – but it will be equally cheesy and delicious.
*Coconut Cream – should be canned and unsweetened. You can also use canned, unsweetened and full fat coconut milk.
*Nutritional Yeast – really adds cheesy flavor to this dip. If you have to omit it, then you may want to bump up the cheesy flavor by adding in a tablespoon of dijon mustard and a teaspoon of garlic powder and blending in with the other ingredients.
*White Vinegar – is really amazing to bring out the cream cheese flavor. I highly recommend you use white vinegar rather than another vinegar. Apple cider vinegar can be used in a pinch but the flavor is not nearly as good.
*Artichokes: Marinated or grilled artichokes are the tastiest to use in this recipe.
*Baby Spinach: We used the baby spinach as is, but you can also chop it if you want smaller pieces of spinach spread more evenly throughout the dip.
*Make it with store-bought vegan cream cheese: We have not tested this with store-bought vegan cream cheese, but our best guess is that you could omit the cashews and the coconut cream and instead add 13 ounces (370g) vegan cream cheese to the blender along with the vinegar, salt, onion powder, mayonnaise and nutritional yeast and blend. Follow the rest of the recipe as it is.
*Make Ahead: You can prepare this dip up until the point that you would bake it in the oven. But instead of baking, let it cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Then bake it right before you’re ready to serve.
*Storing and Freezing: Keep leftovers stored in the fridge and enjoy within around 5 days. It’s not entirely ideal for freezing as the spinach may get watery once it’s thawed. If you don’t mind that, then you can absolutely freeze it for 2-3 months.
*This recipe was first published in March 2019. It has been updated with lots of new tips but the recipe itself is unchanged.
- Category: Side, Appetizer, Gluten-Free
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 12)
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 2.2g
- Sodium: 267mg
- Fat: 18.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrates: 9.9g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 5.5g
Keywords: vegan spinach artichoke dip