This vegan spinach dip is cheesy, creamy and makes the perfect dip. It is baked to golden brown perfection with a delicious crusty top. Super easy and fun to make.
A while ago we made a vegan spinach artichoke dip and I was totally in love with it (still am!).
But I was keen to try a dip with just spinach as the main attraction.
So basically if you are not a fan of artichokes or if marinated or grilled artichokes – the best ones to use for the spinach artichoke dip – are not easy to find where you are, then this one is especially for you.
It has lots of finely chopped spinach in it so the pieces of spinach are perfectly dispersed across every bite and it is the best thing to serve hot from the oven with that divine crust on top.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Raw cashews – these need to be soaked for 1 hour prior to blending. The best way to do this is to place them into a bowl, pour over boiling hot water from the kettle and leave them to soak for 1 hour. Then drain them and continue with the recipe. If you have a cashew allergy you can try this recipe using slivered or blanched almonds instead (also soaked first).
- Coconut cream – should be canned and unsweetened. You could also use canned, full fat, unsweetened coconut milk.
- Distilled white vinegar – this adds wonderful flavor to the cream cheese part of this recipe. Apple cider vinegar also works (but not quite as well).
How To Make Vegan Spinach Dip – Step By Step
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
We start off with making a vegan cream cheese. It’s pretty much exactly like our vegan cream cheese recipe except we also add in some vegan mayonnaise and nutritional yeast.
- Add soaked cashews to the blender – they need to be soaked for one hour in boiling water before you start – along with some lemon juice, coconut cream, white vinegar, salt, onion powder, vegan mayonnaise and nutritional yeast.
- Blend until smooth.
- Now you just leave that alone – leave it in the blender – while you get going with the rest of the recipe.
- Add olive oil, chopped onions, crushed garlic and dried oregano to a frying pan and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Then add in half of the onions to the blender jug with your cream cheese mix and blend them in.
- Now add some finely chopped baby spinach to the remaining onions in the frying pan and sauté until the spinach is wilted.
- Pour the cream cheese from the blender into a 9-inch round baking dish, add the spinach and onion mix and fold in.
- Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes until lightly browned and crusty on top.
It’s divine served either hot or cold. If you are able to serve it straight from the oven then great, but if you have leftovers, you can store them in the fridge and serve them cold. You can also reheat it.
It lasts up to 5 days in the fridge.
I don’t see why not! The only worry would be if the spinach gets a little watery when thawed, but even if it does, I don’t see it ruining this dip. It’s too good to be ruined by something small like that!
Chips, crackers and slices of toasted baguette are the things we’ve tried with this dip and all have been amazing! Of course if you want to go for something a bit more wholesome raw veggies like baby carrots and cucumber and celery would be really good too.
More Vegan Dips
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Spinach Dip
For the Vegan Cream Cheese:
For the Onions and Spinach:
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 5 cups Baby Spinach (200g) Finely Chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Add the soaked cashews to the blender jug along with the lemon juice, coconut cream, white vinegar, salt, onion powder, vegan mayonnaise and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth. Leave in the blender and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan along with chopped onions, crushed garlic and oregano. Sauté until the onions are softened. Then divide roughly in half, and add half the onions to the blender jug with the vegan cream cheese mix. Blend it in.
- Then add the chopped spinach to the frying pan with the remaining onions and sauté until the spinach is wilted.
- Pour the cream cheese from the blender into a 9-inch round baking dish. Then add the sautéed spinach and onions and fold in.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and crusty on top.
- Serve with crackers or chips or bread or raw veggies for dipping.
- Soak the cashews. Add the cashews to a bowl and then pour boiling water over them. Leave them to soak for 1 hour and then you're ready to start. The weight of the cashews is the weight prior to soaking. So measure/weigh them first, then soak them.
- Coconut cream. We used canned unsweetened coconut cream but you can also use canned, full fat, unsweetened coconut milk.
- Leftovers: Keep leftovers stored in a covered container in the fridge and enjoy within 5 days.
- This recipe was first published in May 2019. It has been updated with extra tips but the recipe itself is unchanged.