Ultra creamy and smooth vegan split pea soup. This richly flavored soup is extremely hearty and satisfying and makes a delicious plant-based appetizer or entrée.
- Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic to a pot with the olive oil and oregano. Sauté until softened.
- Add the dried green split peas, chopped carrots and potatoes and the vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil and then cover and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for around 45 minutes, stirring now and again (be careful it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot) until everything is soft and cooked. It will become very thick, like a very thick stew.
- When cooked remove from the heat and blend with an immersion blender if you have one. If you don’t have one then either leave the soup chunky or transfer in stages to a blender jug and blend it.
- When blended it will be very thick and smooth. Now add in the coconut milk and stir in.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with chopped spring onions to garnish and bread for dipping.
*You can use dried yellow split peas as well, it won’t make any difference. I have used either/or with this soup.
*This is a very filling soup, so it will serve at least 8 as an appetizer or 6 as a main course.
- Category: Appetizer, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serving (of 8)
- Calories: 405
- Sugar: 7.4g
- Sodium: 521mg
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 60.5g
- Fiber: 17g
- Protein: 15.5g
Keywords: vegan split pea soup