Fresh and colorful vegan spring rolls made with rice paper wraps. Fun, filling, veggie-packed and served with the best peanut sauce ever!
For the Tofu Strips:
- 8oz (220g) Extra Firm Tofu (Pressed, and cut into strips)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce*
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce*
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
For the Spring Rolls:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (200g) Sliced Cucumbers
- 2 cups (178g) Shredded Red Cabbage
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Sliced)
- 1 Avocado (Sliced)
- 1 Large Carrot (Shredded)
- 16 Sheets Rice Paper (Round)
For the Peanut Sauce:
- 2/3 cup (166g) Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/8 tsp Dried Chili Flakes
- Press the tofu, ideally using a tofu press, or by placing the tofu on a plate with another plate on top of it and then placing something heavy on top like a stack of books or a heavy pot. Let it press for around 20 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Slice your cucumbers and red cabbage and red bell pepper and avocado and shred your carrot.
- Add the ingredients for the peanut sauce to a measuring jug and whisk into a sauce. Set aside for later.
- When your tofu is pressed, cut it into strips and then fry it up with some olive oil, gently turning the tofu until it’s lightly browned.
- Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, maple syrup, ground ginger, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper into a jug and whisk it up into a sauce for the tofu.
- Pour it over the fried tofu and fry the tofu in the sauce until the tofu is sticky and browned.
- Now you’re ready to assemble your spring rolls.
- Fill a bowl with warm water. Ideally the bowl should be big enough to fit the rice paper but if it’s not, it will still work, you will just have to swirl it around.
- Place two of the rice paper wraps into the bowl of water at the same time. They will stick together. Submerge them for a couple of seconds until softened.
- Place both rice paper wraps onto a wooden board with the smooth side down.
- Add a selection fo the veggies to the middle of the rice paper wrap and top with tofu and sliced avocado. Then you just tuck in the sides and roll it up. The rice paper is very sticky so it doesn’t need to be held in place, it just seals itself.
- The recipe makes 8 large spring rolls that you can then cut in half so that you have 16 in total.
*Use a gluten-free soy sauce or switch for tamari to keep this recipe gluten-free.
*Check the hoisin sauce for vegan friendliness as not all brands are vegan.
*Nutritional information includes peanut sauce.
*The peanut sauce is from our Vegan Peanut Sauce recipe.
- Category: Appetizer, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Spring Roll (of 16 pieces)
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 412mg
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 7.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 5.2g
Keywords: vegan spring rolls