Fresh and colorful vegan summer rolls made with rice paper wraps. Fun, filling, veggie-packed and served with the best peanut sauce ever!
Tofu and Sauce:
- 8oz (220g) Extra Firm Tofu (Pressed, and cut into strips)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (For frying)
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce*
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce*
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups (200g) Sliced Cucumbers
- 2 cups (178g) Shredded Red Cabbage
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Sliced)
- 1 Avocado (Sliced)
- 1 Large Carrot (Shredded)
- 16 Sheets Rice Paper (Round)
- Prepare the tofu and veggies: Press the tofu, ideally using a tofu press, or by placing the tofu on a plate with another plate on top of it and then placing something heavy on top like a stack of books or a heavy pot. Let it press for around 20 minutes while you prepare the veggies.
- Slice your cucumbers and red cabbage and red bell pepper and avocado and shred your carrot.
- Make the sauce for the tofu: Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, maple syrup, ground ginger, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper into a jug and whisk it up into a sauce for the tofu.
- Fry the tofu: When your tofu is pressed, cut it into strips and then fry it up with the olive oil, gently turning the tofu until it’s lightly browned.
- Add the sauce: Pour the sauce over the fried tofu and fry the tofu in the sauce until the tofu is sticky and browned.
- Assemble your summer rolls: Now you’re ready to assemble your summer rolls. Fill a bowl with warm water. Ideally the bowl should be big enough to fit the rice paper but if it’s not, it will still work, you will just have to swirl it around.
- Place two of the rice paper wraps into the bowl of water at the same time. They will stick together. Submerge them for a couple of seconds until softened.
- Place both rice paper wraps onto a wooden board with the smooth side down.
- Add a selection fo the veggies to the middle of the rice paper wrap and top with tofu and sliced avocado. Then you just tuck in the sides and roll it up. The rice paper is very sticky so it doesn’t need to be held in place, it just seals itself.
- Make the peanut sauce. Add all the ingredients for the peanut sauce to a measuring jug and whisk together until smooth. Serve alongside the spring rolls as a dipping sauce.
*Check the hoisin sauce for vegan friendliness as not all brands are vegan.
*This recipe makes 8 large summer rolls that you can then cut in half so that you have 16 in total.
*Nutritional information is for everything including peanut sauce.
*This recipe was first published in April 2019. It has been updated with extra tips but the recipe itself is unchanged.
- Category: Appetizer, Savory
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Summer Roll (of 16 pieces)
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 412mg
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 7.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 5.2g
Keywords: vegan summer rolls, vegan rice paper rolls, vegan spring rolls