This rich and hearty vegan stew is the ultimate comfort food. It’s simple fare that’s wonderfully warming and always satisfies.
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 18oz (500g) Brown Button Mushrooms (Sliced)*
- 3 Large Carrots (Diced)
- 3 Celery Stalks (Diced)
- 1/3 cup (41g) All Purpose Flour*
- 2 cups (480ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup (240ml) Marinara Sauce*
- 1 cup (240ml) Red Wine
- 2 Large Potatoes (~600g/1.2 pounds peeled weight / peeled and chopped)
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Kidney Beans (Drained)
- 1/2 cup (130g) Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 leaves Bay Leaf
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar (Optional)
- Add the chopped onion to the pot with the olive oil and sauté the onions until softened.
- Add in the crushed garlic, dried thyme, rosemary and oregano and sauté with the onions.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, diced carrots and diced celery and toss with the onions and spices. Let it cook for a few minutes until the mushrooms are slightly softened.
- Add the all purpose flour and stir it in, then add the vegetable stock, marinara sauce and red wine along with the peeled chopped potatoes, kidney beans, tomato paste and dark soy sauce and stir in.
- Add in the bay leaves and bring it all to a simmer, cover the pot and leave to simmer, stirring from time to time, until the potatoes and veggies are soft and cooked.
- Add in the coconut sugar (optional) which helps to balance out the flavors and salt and pepper to taste (if needed).
- Serve as is or with basmati rice.
*Also called portobellini mushrooms or baby bella or cremini mushrooms.
*If you want this stew to be gluten free then use a gluten free all purpose flour blend.
*You can use any marinara sauce that you like the taste of, or sub for canned chopped tomatoes.
*Nutritional information is for stew only and does not include any rice that you may serve it with.
- Category: Entree, Savory
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 378
- Sugar: 15.1g
- Sodium: 741mg
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 58.4g
- Fiber: 9.1g
- Protein: 11.6g
Keywords: vegan stew